Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soon, I'll be having surgery on both wrists for CTS. I've lost a little function in both wrists, and have lost almost all the strength in my left. I've been in splints for a little more than a month, and have been taking daily doses of ibuprofen to reduce the swelling; neither treatment has helped in the slightest, hence the surgery.

Has anyone here ever had surgery to correct CTS? How was it done? How long was your recovery period? Were you in a cast afterward? Will I survive going under the knife again?! Someone help me stop freaking out!

Thanks

------------------
Attend the annual
MINNESOTA MOSQUITO FESTIVAL!
Rain or Shine, from Just Before Memorial Day to Just After Labor Day!
Free admission!!

Out of my Head.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadowhawk
Activist
Member # 3425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowhawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm only starting on my own CTS here, so I don't need surgery. However, my aunt did have surgery a while back for hers (which was getting really bad).

It's basically outpatient surgery. Go in, get the surgery done, recover a while, and walk out. Normally they do it with local anesthetic, but general's always an option if you're really anxious about it (as my aunt was). For a full recovery, she took almost two months. I don't believe there were any casts involved.

If I can remember to do it before I leave for vacation Wednesday, I'll hunt down one of my parents and ask them for more general info as they're both in the medical field.

Posts: 80 | From: Phoenix, AZ, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadowhawk
Activist
Member # 3425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowhawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both parents are freaking heavily about vacation, so that plan failed. So just take what I've given already as a general idea, and be sure to ask your doctor/surgeon what exactly he or she has in mind specific to you.
Depending on the severity of your CTS and your resilience, it could take longer or less time to heal, the procedure may differ, etc.

Anyway, best of luck to you. Hope the surgery and recovery goes well and helps you out!

Posts: 80 | From: Phoenix, AZ, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 9 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ouch! i sympathise with you, fully.

i had the WORST cts when i was prego. Thankfully, it disappeared about 2 months after I gave birth to Aaron.

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.