Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » ingrown hairs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ingrown hairs?
angel545
Neophyte
Member # 4218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angel545     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what exactly are ingrown hairs? i'm not sure that if i had em i would know i did. thanks!
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ingrown hairs happen when hair is growing, and one way or another becomes diverted. A lot of times the surrounding skin becomes irritated. It's fairly obvious because a lot of time you can see the actual hair, sometimes it can appear to be something else.
Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if you're having unprotected sexually actives you may want to go get tested for an STD. That ingrown hair may be HPV or Herpes. Sometimes it can just be a pimple.

------------------
Every time someone says, 'I don't believe in fairies,' one falls over dead.

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel545
Neophyte
Member # 4218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angel545     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so it is a hair with red, irritated skin around it? is it usually just one or a bunch al together? i dont have them but im just curious
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing an ingrown pubic hair would like just the same as if you had an ingrown hair on your leg, armpit, or eyebrow.
Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an actual definition of "ingrown hairs" -- http://www.ingrownhairs.com/definition.html .

Ingrown hairs may result from various hair removal processes. Because "ingrown hairs" is plural, I would assume that it refers to more than one ingrown hair.

[This message has been edited by Aquamarine (edited 06-27-2001).]

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well in my personal experiences, they're pretty painful. Just itchy, sore bumpy things that spew pus when/if you pop them (if they're infected). Not fun huh?

You can make the swelling go down by soaking in a tub of hot water w/ some epsom salts ... or taking a facecloth and a bowl of hot water and applying hot compresses. It's extremely important that you don't squeeze these things too too hard ... You can send the infection into your bloodstream, then you're really in trouble.

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.