Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » eating breakfast at noon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: eating breakfast at noon
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During the summer I stay up really late, so I don't wake up until 10:30 or 11:00. I usually get online right when I wake up, and then snack until 1 or 2 and eat lunch.

Since I'm waking up so late, should I eat breakfast right away (11), and then lunch a few hours later? It seems so close together. I want to practice healthy eating habits.

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're getting a decent amount of healthy food into yourself, it doesn't matter if you eat at "regular" mealtimes or not. If you don't feel hungry enough to eat two full meals so close together, then don't.

Just make sure your snacks are nutritious. Some people (like me) don't feel very hungry when they've just woken up and can't face a "proper" meal, but skipping breakfast altogether is a bad idea (since your body's already gone all night without nourishment). Healthy snacks are a good solution (just make sure it's not anything that will get drips or crumbs in your keyboard ... ).

You could try keeping a "food diary" for a week or so just to check that your overall intake is balanced, but if it is then what times you eat at doesn't really make much difference.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as a footnote to the good advice logic has already given:

Think about it: When you wake up after say 8 hours of sleep, it means you haven't put any fuel in your body for quite a long time, sometimes 10 or 12 hours.

It's a good idea to eat something within say an hour of waking up, to get your engines into gear. Whether that follows a consistent form, say that of "breakfast" doesn't matter though. Like logic, on most days, I really don't feel like a big meal in the morning at all but grab some fruit and a yoghurt instead.

So my advice would be the same as logic: don't bother having two meals if you don't feel like it, but make sure that you eat something in the morning, and at that something that is nutritious.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great advice, Alaska and logic.
How many calories are females supposed to take in a day? I want to start eating really right, and exercise too!

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That depends on your age, weight and activity level.

Check out this calculator from the West Virgina Dietic Association or discuss this with your GP.
http://www.wvda.org/calcs/fcals.htm

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.