Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » shiny hair

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: shiny hair
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hair is really soft and really shiny, but only underneath (like if I do a sidepart it is). The top layer is unshiny and rough (unless I brush it a lot).

Any idea to why it's like this and any idea how to cure it? Thanks.

------------------
If you don't daydream and kind of plan things out in your imagination, you'll never get there. So you have to start someplace.
Robert Duvall

"I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things rolling." -The Rookie

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey

i can't really say why <i>your</i> hair might be like that cause i don't know what kind of hair you have or what you use on it.

sometimes my hair is really silky and shiny; other times it is kind of frizzy and dull.

i have light reddish-brown chin length, naturally wavy hair that gets really curly if it dries on its own.

i have found that lots of times my hair gets kind of dried out (curly hair tends to be more dry than straight) from styling and the "elements."

you might want to try switching shampoo and see if that helps any. i think sometimes hair gets too used to a certain shampoo and needs a break. a clarifying shampoo would definitely help with the build up from your regular favorite and also any other styling products you might use.

blowdrying can also make your hair dry and damaged if you do it all the time. personally, i don't like my hair to air dry because it takes on a life of its own, so i used a heat-activated shampoo and conditioner which helps protect your hair, and also try and use a cooler setting on my blow dryer.

another trick i learned is before you get out of the shower, rinse your hair with a blast of cool water. apparently, the cold water closes the pores and hair follicles on your head that were opened from the warm/hot water, and makes your hair appear more shiny.

hope that helps some!

(also, since it is summer and you might be outdoors more, swimming, etc.... your hair might be suffering from the elements or you could be OVERwashing your hair...)

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just another nint/tip/idea I got from a naturopathic hairdresser (who was a bit of a freak, but did keep my hair in amazing condition, which isn't easy, as it's typical redhead hair, thick and coarse):

1) Don't wash it every day. You can rinse it every day, but try and wash it every other day, or every two -- though in summer, I know every other is as long as I can go without looking like a greaseball.

2) For shampooing and conditioning, try doing the following. Keep one small container and one big one on the shower (the first, about the size of a coffee mug, the latter, a pitcher). For shampooing, put about a tablespoon of shampoo in the little container, then dilute it with warm water to the top. Add a few drops of essential oils (just a couple, not too much). Pur on head, wash. Rinse with warm water. For cinditioning, put five to ten drops (depending on how dry or thick your hair is) of olive oil in the pitcher, again with a couple drops of an essential oil you like. Fill to the top with cool to cold water. Grab the ends of your hair and put them in the pitcher first, allowing them to soak up most of the oil in the water, then pour the rest of the mix over your head. No rinsing.

When my hair gets in really bad shape, I always go back to his regimen. It works very nicely, and as a bonus, olive oil is a LOT cheaper than butloads of conditioner. It's also really protective if you blowdry.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use this special shampoo and conditioner from my hairdresser. The conditioner opens the pores on the scalp up, and makes my hair grow faster.

------------------
If you don't daydream and kind of plan things out in your imagination, you'll never get there. So you have to start someplace.
Robert Duvall

"I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things rolling." -The Rookie

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orchid
Neophyte
Member # 8663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orchid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As was said before, olive oil can be really great for giving a shine to your hair, though sometimes just using the hot oil treatments sold at drugstores can be a little less intimidating, as they eliminate guessing how much to use. Brushing your hair a lot works much the same way as these treatments so far as shine goes - it stimulates the oil glands in your scalp, which helps maintain hair's vitality. I've had waist length or longer hair as long as I can remember, and I've tried about everything to make it shine. Aside from hot oil, (and those very expensive salon shampoos), there are some really great shine sprays that are gentle on your hair, and I've also found that for some reason volumizing sprays can add a lot of gloss - probably because of all the waxy coating in them. Of course, one of the most important ways to get beautiful hair is to eat well, making sure to get enough protein in your diet.
Posts: 32 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.