Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Ways to delay your period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ways to delay your period?
DancingSunshine
Neophyte
Member # 2893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DancingSunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I used the search feature (hehe!) and I found one topic about delaying your period. I was wondering if there are any other ways to delay it than the pill? I really really need to delay my period in about... 9 weeks. I'll be at camp and I cannot go to camp with it. Is 9 weeks enough time for my body to adjust to the pill (if there's no other methods to delay it?), enough so I can delay it about 2 weeks? I've been reading up about it as much as I can, but they all say "if you're already on the pill". Thanks!

------------------
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music!

Posts: 32 | From: Shoebox | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duff
Activist
Member # 2176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i don't see why you can't just fo to camp with your period... But you should have thought about this earlier. If you go on Depo-provera (a birthcontorl shot, you have to get every 3 months) and that dor most women stops your period after about 3-6 months. So to me it seems to be a bit late to be asking about this. sorry
Posts: 162 | From: NYC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, come on.

I don't mean to be harsh, but really. Women have done everything with periods for centuries, from fighting in hand-to-hand combat in revolutionary movements to meeting the Queen. I assure you that plenty of them (including myself) have camped while menstruating.

First of all, the pill is not MEANT to be used to screw with your periods. And it is not advisable to use it in that way even when you are on it.

And hormonal birth control is not for everyopne, has side effects and the lot. And before going on such, you need tyo see a gynecologist.

Truth? Just deal. Really, periods are periods are periods. They're hardly the stuff of high drama.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh huh ... I agree w/ Miz S. here.

What is it that you're so worried about? You can go camping when you're on your period. Really. Do they not have toilets there or something? If not, you can bury your tampon just as your would the rest of your "business". It will work ... if you try to work it

Ya know ... this would be an excellent time to look into the use of menstrual cups such as Instead and the keeper

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago, I would have completely sympathized with your post. I always hoped that going on the plane ride to Maine, my period would be delayed a few days. One year I was terrified I would be menstruating during our white-water rafting trip. And suddenly, my view about my body changed - menstruating is a normal, healthy function. I mean, I can't say that I love to menstruate, but since I started using tampons, having my period has been no problem at all - especially for camping and water sports and other stuff at camp. Try using them a few cycles before you leave for camp, starting with the lightest absorbencies (tampax makes lights, they're the ones with purple writing). Or, I've heard the Keeper is excellent as well. Plus, I bet that if you're in a bunk or age group of alot of girls, at least one will have her period at the same time as you!
Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DancingSunshine
Neophyte
Member # 2893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DancingSunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I can't have my period at camp is because my period is so deathly heavy that I will have to use the bathroom every hour, which should make my camp a pain in the butt of an experience. Thanks for your input Duff... not. I DID think about this before, when I signed up for camp, which is why I signed up for the week after. But, three days ago, I had to change my camp time because something else came up. So I was expecting to be over my camp, causing me no problem.

------------------

Posts: 32 | From: Shoebox | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DancingSunshine
Neophyte
Member # 2893

And, I use tampons. They don't work so terribly well for me because supers leak in an hour and a half, if they last that long.

------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I advise then that you see a gynecologist.

Super-duper heavy flow like that may mean you have a hormonal imbalance or some other issue that could be very easily correctable with the right medication. And that means you may be able to solve the problem long-term, which is far more important than just dealing with it for this one instance.

So, make an appointment ASAP, go see a GYN and tell them your menstrual history.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 05-15-2001).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DancingSunshine
Neophyte
Member # 2893

K! Thanks. I talked to my mom and she said she'll call them.

------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Three cheers for Mom!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.