Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » constipation (especially when travelling)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: constipation (especially when travelling)
lilykitten
Neophyte
Member # 9295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilykitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else encounter severe constipation while travelling? I do and I was wondering what I could do about it.

I travel with a marching band a lot and sadly, our diet is pretty limited. Fresh fruits and vegetables are rarities... seems like all we ever eat is fried chicken and dry cereal.

Since my diet is out of my control, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do about this dumb little problem?

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is a psychological component about constipation. Some people have trouble going #2 in an unfamiliar place.

try packing fiber-rich snacks with you (bran muffins, bran cereal, bran bars or whatever). I dunno what instrument oyu play, but you couls always try to stash some fruit or real fruit snacks (not the cute cartoon ones, those are all sugar, get like a real fruit roll or fruit leather) in your instrument case or backpack.

Also, drink lots of water and eat veggies whenever you do happen to get a chance. Where do you tend to stop off for food on these trips (I, too, am a veteran of marching band)? If you have any choice, ask for places where salad is some sort of option.

------------------
Don't be coward like shrimp, be brave like PRAWN!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilykitten
Neophyte
Member # 9295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilykitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We tend to stop at fast food places (McDonalds abd Burger King, usually... oh how I loathe fast food...) or we arrange for some kind of meal to be brought into the school where we're staying (we live out of gyms and locker rooms). Almost always it's fried chicken or sandwiches since most people tend to like those. There's usually a side of canned corn or something.

We get fresh strawberries for breakfast but there's always been this legendary "Only 1 Strawberry!!" rule for years. It's cruel, I tell you.

I hate to say it, but I really dislike salad. I had one of those... bad experiences... with salad when I was young and now I can't eat it without thinking about that terribly long night spent before the porcelain throne. I can force myself to eat it, but when there are other options that fill me up better, it's really difficult. :P

I do drink water almost exclusively during the season... and really, almost all year round. Soda is reserved for special occasions, like parties. Otherwise I only drink water, milk, orange juice, and the occasional green tea. It has changed my life... I don't get menstral cramps anymore. Go me. ^_^

What instrument did you play Gumdrop Girl? I'm an alto sax, myself... and a real band nut.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play alto sax

I also found taking a nice hot shower/bath to help. If that's not available, maybe taking a hot water bottle or heating pad w/ you would be better. It may not do much to help you get rid of your 'excess baggage', but it helps w/ the cramps that go along w/ constipation.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, hate salads. Nobody ever understand why, but I can't eat them.

Anyway, If I were you, I'd pack up a lot of fiber-rich snacks (look at the labels for the snacks and see how much fiber is in them) in your backpack or instrument case (those sax cases tend to have plenty of nooks and crannies, don't they? ). The fruit rolls would probably suit you best because they are pretty high in fiber and compact.

For the record, I was a concussionist ... err, um, a percussionist I played mallet instruments and assorted auxiliary bits. I was in band during high school.

------------------
Don't be coward like shrimp, be brave like PRAWN!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dried fruit might be a good snack option too - it's high in fiber (dried figs are very effective for treating constipation), energy-rich, and compact.
Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always found dried apricots to be very effective. But watch out, they taste really good and over eating them will cause the opposite of constipation!

<edited because I can't spell>

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 12-29-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 12-29-2002).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.