Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Hot & Cold

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hot & Cold
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just pulled a muscle in my back, from blow drying my hair How does that happen?

Anyway, when I complained to my Mom about the pain, she suggested I put ice on it. Being the cold wimp that I am, I argued that heat would be better. She told me that ice is better for the first 24-48 hours. Why, I asked. Noone knows. Or at least my Mom doesn't.

So does anyone know why ice is better?

And, a piece of interesting trivia-you can pull muscles in your kneck from sneezing. Ouch!

------------------
Sin by thy lips? Oh trespass sweetly urged, give me my sin again!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow ... i totally knew that ... LOL

No, not really .. hmm ... Don't mind me, the Smurf is in a really weird mood right now.

I use hot ... I always heard that it relaxes your muscles so they sort of unknot themselves, and in turn, you feel better That's what i did when i threw my back out doing the "horizontal mombo" and i got into a tub of hot water and felt bunches better

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kdxnate250
Neophyte
Member # 2771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kdxnate250     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the whole cold first hot later thing is if you sprain something where there would be some swelling. The cold constricts your blood vessels and keeps the swelling down and once it starts to heal the heat help expand blood vessels and increase circulation which helps it to heal faster. I think. I'm not completely sure so maybe someone else could confirm this for me. But anyway when I pull something I generally just put something warm on it cuz that feels good and helps me relax.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KDX gets the rpize!

Cold compresses reduce swelling or soreness. Warm compresses relax mucles or joints and can help reduce the liklihood of infection with skin wounds.

So, your Mom is right. Cold first, warm later is a smart thing to do.

(And jeez, what kind of hair dryer are you using, girl?)

Posts: 67102 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i always use icy-hot. it does the work for me since i never knew which was better in the first place.

------------------
frozendreems@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha

It wasn't actually the hair dryer, but I think I leaned down too fast or something of the like. How typical of me to get hurt by leaning over

Thanks for your replies-I think I'll listen to my Mom more often now!

------------------
Sin by thy lips? Oh trespass sweetly urged, give me my sin again!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Oops! Double Post!

[This message has been edited by pink (edited 04-03-2001).]

ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ningrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mother is always right!

------------------

shedding skin sucumb defeat
this machine is obsolete

Posts: 124 | From: Lucasville, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.