Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » ....against homophobia!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ....against homophobia!
Mica
Neophyte
Member # 2938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,
new project on the net! Against prejudices and homophobia! Includes an online questionnaire for GLB teens aged 13-16, guestbook and Links to the German part of the project .... have a look!
http://psypost.psych.nat.tu-bs.de/Amerika/Webpage.html

Meike

Posts: 2 | From: Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baptist
Activist
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baptist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you consider relgious objetion to be homophobia? That is, people who don't mistreat homosexuals, but disagree with their lifestyle. Are they homophobic?

------------------
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."

-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 232 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean homophobics have to mistreat homosexuals to be called homophobics?

In some cases, religion can be a reason for disagree. But are you saying that because of what the Bible tells you, or from your own point of view? I'd rather have my own reservations or experiences to disagree with something, rather than what I was told to believe in a book. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks for myself, though...

Mica- I think this is a really good idea!

------------------
Bad Cats!!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's turn the tables, like, if I disagree with the heterosexual "lifestyle" (and it too is a lifestyle inasmuch as homosexuality is a lifestyle) does that make me a heterophobe?
Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can disagree til the cows come home and things may not change ...

Another viewpoint ... Isn't a phobia to be scared of something? Disagreeing and being scared of are two different things in itself ...

I agree tho Dzuun. It would be the same thing ... To be homophobic and heterophobic.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with smurfie on this. I always thought of phobia as a fear. So if you are homophobic, you are scared of them. The kind of pple who believe that touching a homosexual would mean they wld get AIDS and stuff like that.

Totally different from diagreeing. So Baptist no, if you only disagree with their lifestyle, I wouldn't call you a homophobe.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that maybe fear is what the word was intended to indicate, but I don't think that that's the meaning it's actually taken on.

I mean, if homophobia is a fear of homosexuality/homosexuals, then what is the term for someone who disagrees with homosexuality at any level? Is such a person a sexual orientationist?

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got absolutely no idea Dzuun.

But I have always associated the word phobia with fear. Isn't it supposed to be very clear cut? Like claustrophobia is a fear of enclosed spaces.

Maybe people are just kinda lazy to think of a new word and they just use homophobia to represent everything. So maybe we should come up with a new word.

But again, in my book, homophobia is a fear of homosexuals. I certainly don't think that people who disagree are homophobic.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a really tough question, but a good one Baptist and Dzuunmod.

It is inteneded to mean a fear of. However, what gets murky is what fear is and how it manifests.

There are certainly some who would say, "Oh, I'm not afraid of homosexuality, I just disagree on principle (whatever that principle may be)," and yet that could be based in personal fear.

There are others who could say the same thing but it was not based in their own feelings of fear, but in a general fear or intolerance that is pervasive in their culture, community, family or tradition.

There are others still who could disagree on some principle (let's say they feel that any type of sex must only be done for the purposes of reproduction) who probably aren't homophobic at all, especially since a principle like that includes not only homo/bisexuals, but people having any sort of sex for any reason besides procreation, including heterosexual sexual activities and masturbation.

That make sense?

(It's also important, though, to remember that heterosexuals, homosexuals and bisexuals all have lots of different types of "lifestyles" that vary from person to person, and that orientation doesn't dictate "lifestyle." For instance, a gay man in San Francisco who attends play parties with mutliple partners regularly, who lives in a group house, and who works for the government and in a Zen Buddhist lives a very different life than another gay man in Maine who is a Catholic priest, who lives alone and who is a celibate.)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 03-11-2001).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! Like in my religion, nobody seems to be scared of us or anything, but they certainly aren't gay positive. They look down on anyone, gay or straight, who has sex out of wedlock.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe taken the meaning literally, i would count as homophobic to a certain extent. I do not disagree with it, i merely fear it instinctually.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, Confused: do you really think that fear is instinctual, in other words, not something you were taught or picked up on in your environment, but a fear you were born with in your genetic map?

In other words, as a species, we have certain things we do know are instinctual (though not very many, when it all comes down to it), like fight-or-flight patterns of behaviour, like nursing as infants, etc. Do you think your homopholibia really is instinctual or is it learned?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baptist
Activist
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baptist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pink,

I trust what the Bible says over any other book I've read. They are the teachings of God and His Son. Just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean that I'm not open-minded. I don't fear homosexuals, I simply don't agree with homosexuality.

I would imagine that I will probably get catch a lot of flak over what I have just said but that's nothing new. Besides, I'm used to political correctness trying to censor me.

"DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!"

------------------
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."

-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 232 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Baptist, that was a good post and there wasn't anything wrong with it. You told us what you thought, why you thought it, without being overzelous or being judgemental or rude (I'm not saying that you have been in other posts, I have only read a few of yours) so basically it qualifies under a "no flak post" lol

Mophead, just wondering, what is your religion? And you say that they say no sex out of wedlock...is that wedlock under the church or wedlock under the law? j/w.

I think it's okay to be against a person for whatever reason, and to disagree with their beliefs or their actions or whatever, as long as you're not mean or cruel, try to change them, or try to interfer negatively in their life. I think everyone can think of one aspect of a person that you really disagre with. I, personally, am against irrational people who try to make me change from who I am to who the want me to be. I'm not going to go around killing them or calling them names or telling them that they're wrong, just because we disagree on who or what I should be.

So anyways, my whole point is that it's okay to not agree with being something other then hetero, but don't be so mean a bout it.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, lets put it this way: we are programmed to have a fear of the unkown and anything that is different from us. This is to combat our curiousity whixh would cause us to kill ourselves so much that we would not survive as a species. Im not instinctually against homosexuals specifically. Obviously i realise this is irrational in this case.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Actually I don't think I can sign onto a "fear of the unknown" being innate, nor do I recall reading that as an aspect of survival of the fittest in Darwinian theory anywhere (which, by the by, is only one evolutionary theory of many, and which had a WHOLE lot of holes in it that morden theorists have since debunked).

VeNT
Activist
Member # 852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VeNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its very hard to quantify where the line for homophobe and just having an opinon <sp> is
i think that it is when it ceases to be a personal feeling and you start to take actions on your opinon.
like we have people in my college class who ARE homophobes, they never stop moaning about "all the fu*king gays in college"
but then there are also people who don't like the idea,in a way, of gay people but don't go around moaning
they just avoid them
or if you are talking about the phobia homophobia like aracniphobia people who are afraid of homosexuals then that may be a mental problem, like being abused by someone of the same sex.
~VeNT

Posts: 101 | From: truro cornwall england | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momma cat
Activist
Member # 363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Webster's definition of phobia is:

"an exaggerated and often disabling fear usually inexplicable to the subject, having occaisionally a logical but usually an illogical or symbolic object, and serving to protect the ego against anxiety arising from unexpressed aggressive impulses."

Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There *are* many animals that are technically considered innately neophobic, or afraid of new things (which is rather like fear of the unknown). I think chickens would count as neophobic, and I bet bottlenose dolphins would too.

Humans, however, would not.

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Seventh Day Adventist, and I guess to them there's no difference between marriage under church and under law. *shrugs* I'm not even planning to get married anyway. No point in knowing.

Baptist, I think if you went to Google.com you could find some sites that would help you to relax. My psychiatrist told me today that listening to language tapes would help me. Hon, scarleteen is a very accepting environment. As of yet, you haven't really said anything revolting. So calm down. The bible says: "Who by worrying can add one cubit to his height?" So just relax and enjoy talking with us.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I hate to make sweeping generalizations, but the Christians I've met who disagree with the homosexual lifestyle usually don't like homosexuals. I've heard a girl walk up to a gay man and say "you digust me", and another girl talking about how if you're gay, its the devil trying to sway your soul to the "dark side". And that if you don't "resist the gay spirit", you're gonna go to hell.

So, maybe you're not necessarily *afraid* of gay people. So homophobia is a misleading term. When someone doesn't like a person because of their race, they are called a racist. If you don't like someone because of their sex, you are a sexist. So, likewise, if you dislike someone due to their sexual orientation, you're, I don't know...how does orientationist sound? Hmm...stupid. It sounds stupid. But if anyone can up with something better, be my guest.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downward...

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.