Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » wieght obsession vs. weight control vs. not caring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: wieght obsession vs. weight control vs. not caring
Nookiebabe16
Activist
Member # 2190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nookiebabe16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay I just wanted all your thought on this topic I and my 2 best friends can each be put into one of those categories but if you saw us you wouldnt believe it. The one who is weight obsessed is 5'4" and 210 lbs myself I am the one who controls her weight but I see no harm in eating ice cream or pizza, but heres the kicker. My friend Talia cares nothing about weight. When we go out she eats her fried chicken and a whole small pizza AND then eats other peoples stuff when theyre finished. I know for a fact shes not bukimic, but isnt it completely not fair that she doesnt care what she eats and is a size 2 and my other friend who cares is a size 16? It just seems mixed up. Dam those people with fast metabolisms :-D
Posts: 58 | From: Massachusetts, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really depends.

Honestly, it wouldn't be an issue of fairness or unfairness if we lived in a world that didn't attach status to body size and really compromise our health and self-esteem in the process.

People's bodies are different -- not just metabolically, but in terms of shape and size, and there is no hard and fast rule that says one size is good and another isn't -- those are cultural fads and mores that we get to choose to listen to or ignore.

In 15th century France, for instance, your large friend would be the one that your thin friend and you envied, and you'd be wondering if it was fair to have such fast metabolisms because being skinny was considered about as unappealing by culture as being fat is now.

(And I'd have given the skinny chicks the same advice in that time -- love your body rather than trying to meet a cultual ideal. Not only do they change all the time anyway, your energy is better spent learning to love yourself for who you are and what you look like)

Interseting profiles of the three of you, btw.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care about my weight and I can probably fit into a size zero. I eat like a pig.

My other friend is a mite overweight and she watches what she eats fairly carefully. I won't say she is obsessed but she certainly cares about the number of calories she is consuming.

For me, I have always been skinny so it has never crossed my mind that maybe I should watch what I eat. In fact, people dump food in my face all the time. They are so worried I am anorexic.

I'm not. I guess I just have a pretty damn fast metabolism rate. But metabolism rates slow down as you get older. And I'm not counting on mine being fast forever. Oh well. As long as I am healthy.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I consider myself a teeny tiny bit overweight (I'm 5'6, 170lbs ... no boobs and all butt/hips *sigh*), but everyone else tells me that my weight is spread out, so it's hard to see. So maybe it's just me ... ??

I stopped caring about my weight when i realized that I was never going to be a size 0. If i were, i'd be sick. I have a med/large sized frame, and if i were that small, i'd probably end up in the hospital. Vanity isn't worth risking your health. It's just not. I'm happy w/ who I am now. Which is so much easier (and sometimes more useful) than putting yourself through a billion diets.

It's not really unfair ... it's genes and reality

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 5'6'' and 120 lbs, I'm a size 5 in junior size and I have no butt and no hips. Every time I complain about my body, I get nothing but disgusted looks from people and comments like "Oh jeez, how can you say that, I'd love to have your body, what are you talking about?" and so on.

Being slender isn't that great. I have such a hard time finding jeans that won't fall off me, and to top it off, I have really long legs and the jeans with the length I need are to big in the butt and legs. I'd rather have some meat on my bones than have my clothes hang on me. So I'm not trying to be a bee-yatch, but being skinny isn't so great, contrary to popular belief. So don't hate us skinny people because of our bodies, chances are, unfortunately, we hate our bodies enough as it is.

------------------
Kids in the backseat cause accidents. Accidents in the backseats cause kids! (So be careful!) Luvs to Jeremy! Email me at Ladybug705@yahoo.com

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Flirtie, you shouldn't have to hate your body at all.

I'm exactly like you and I understand what you mewan when you talk about finding clothes. The grass is always greener on the other side.

But you should always love your body sweetie.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... And i'm the exact opposite of you two!!

I'm short, but my butt and hips are huge. So all the pants w/ the right leg length are too tight on me. But when i get pants that fit me around the bum, i have to roll them up or hem them or pin them or something!

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really HATE my body Lin, I just wish I had a little more boo-tay. I've pretty much accepted the fact that I have no hips, and I have no butt, and I will never find jeans that will fit. (but I'm not bitter! ) My mom even gave me some exercises to do which can "perk up" your butt a little bit.

Haha, I just realized how weird I must have sounded, "Hey Mom, how do I get a bigger butt??" You don't hear that every day.

------------------
Kids in the backseat cause accidents. Accidents in the backseats cause kids! (So be careful!) Luvs to Jeremy! Email me at Ladybug705@yahoo.com

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The day before I had my baby, I weighed 270. I swore I'd be back down to 180 -- pre-baby weight -- by my birthday (December 1.) I immediately lost 35 pounds (heavy baby, lots of blood, fluid, all that good stuff) and stayed there until my birthday, when I decided that I wasn't going to worry about any of it anymore. And now it's been 3 months since then, and I've lost 25 pounds! When I was stressing about it, I'd constantly eat to try and make myself feel better, but once I got over the "must be thin to be pretty" mentality, I was much happier with myself and took better care of myself. Nice how that works.

------------------
I have a hideous, hideous secret...
you see, when the full moon shines, I undergo terrifying changes... My skin gets hard and stiff... shingles grow on top of my head... I turn into... a house.

That's right... I'm a werehouse.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell ya what, Flirtie, just because I'm so nice and I've got enough bootie to share, I'll give ya some of mine.

:P

(In all seriousness, having strong glutes can really benefit your health because it adds strength and resilence to the area surroung the base of your spine.

So, if you do want to build up that area, do things that build muscle there -- rollerbalding, ice skating, running up and down stairs, step classes, or if you do yoga or manual exercises, lunge and bridge positions are your pal.)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momma cat
Activist
Member # 363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'all know what the problem is? The D*AMN FASHION INDUSTRY!!! We're not all the same size, and not even the same proportions! I get so envious of guys who can buy pants in different combinations of widths and lengths. Last summer it took me forever to find some shorts that fit well because somehow the front would be digging into my stomache and the back of the waist band would sit 2 inches or more from my back. My butt is disproportionate and I have the hardest time finding dresses because I need the top half about 4 sizes smaller than the bottom. I'm sure if we could all easily find clothing that fits it would do a world of wonders for our self-esteem.
Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.