Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Sports Drinks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sports Drinks
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are sport drinks okay to drink during running, or any kind of sport. Track just started (yay!) and I don't really like the taste of plain water, so can I drink sport drinks instead? (Or in addition to.....?)

------------------
Kids in the backseat cause accidents. Accidents in the backseats cause kids! (So be careful!) Luvs to Jeremy! Email me at FlirtieGirlie7@yahoo.com

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have always heard that no sport drink can replace water. I's pretty sure that it would be ok to drink a sport drink instead of water. I dont see a problemo with it. Still water is the best when working out, it replaces the water you have lost during your excercise. Thats what I think thou.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sports drinks contain sodium, to get you to drink more. The idea is to keep you hydrated. But water really can't be beat.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus
________
masterbating is what the MASTERS do.

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Know what Flirtie?

I don't either. Never have. Plain old tap water. Blecko.

However, in discovering how much NOT drinking water really blew my health (getting constantly dehydrated a few years back basically compounded a very serious health problem, which ended up requiring removal of an organ), I had to learn to drink it and like it.

So, here's what I'd suggest:

1) Get a cheap water filtration system like a Brita pitcher. Even people who do like the taste of water don't often like tap water -- it's gross. Filering the water can make a big difference.

2) Have it ice cold.

3) Try adding a couple lemon, lime or orange slices to your water. It makes it much yummier.

Sports drinks are okay in moderation, but let's take a look at what is in one: water, sucrose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, citric acid, natural flavors, salt, sodium citrate, and monopotassium phosphate (the ingredients in Gatorade --gotta love the internet).

In other words, it's water with salt, sugar and preservatives. Not so great for you when you're super-active or when you need to be hydtrated. You may as well just drink organic juice if you're going to go that route -- it's better for you.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 03-19-2001).]

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay for Brita and fruit slices! I got a Brita pitcher, and I'll never go back to regular water again!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Reality is nothing but a collective hunch."
~Lily Tomlin

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure on this one, but they sell flavored water at a few gas stations around my house. They come in flavors like raspberry, strawberry, lemon, etc. They're pretty good, but I don't know if they're a suitable stand-in for water. They taste kind of syrupy, so the might have corn syrup or something.

I remember if I wanted my own flavored water, I'd just cut up some strawberries or mangos and drop them in the water. I'd let the water sit in the fridge overnight for the flavor to set. It's tas-tay, right Mz.S?

------------------
Sin by thy lips? Oh trespass sweetly urged, give me my sin again!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, years ago, I read a long interview with the guy (an MD) who developed Gatorade.

Basically, he came up with the idea of creating something that would give athletes water plus some salt (to help balance electrolytes and to replace salt lost through sweat) and potassium, just to keep their metabolisms happy while they were working really hard. Apparently the original versions tasted pretty god-awful. And the current version is pretty far away from the original, I'd have to say... it's basically a pretty darned expensive version of water with some salt, sugar, and potassium in it. Same goes for other sports drinks, pretty much.

I'm a big fan of plain old water with lime slices in it. I love my Brita pitcher, and I also love my old-fashioned soda water syphon for when I am craving fizzy water instead.

Another super thirst-quencher that has a lot of the same principles as Gatorade -- this is something I learned about from a Vietnamese friend -- is plain soda or seltzer water with (get this!) salted pickled lemon slices in it, plus enough sugar to balance out the saltiness. Sounds gross but it's really very good! I drink it a lot in the summertime. You can often find pickled salted lemons in Asian food markets.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay for Brita filters!

I personally love to drink filtered or mineral water mixed with a little unsweeted applejuice after sports (depending on taste, 1 part juice on 3 parts water or whatever). The applejuice gives you some carbos (and some other goodies, if it's good, natural juice) and it doesn't taste too boring, if that's what worries you.

And Hanne, that salted lemon thing sounds worth a try.

------------------
"I am capable of, but sometimes not interested in making myself happy."

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, am I the only one who loves plain tap water?

Maybe it's because the government dumps so much stuff in it to clean it and give it a nice taste.

I have never liked Gatorade. Tastes like sweat to me.

Although Hanne's pickled lemon thingy is worth a try. Let me see if I can find some.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VeNT
Activist
Member # 852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VeNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you guys got Ribena out there?
thats nice!
i drink it by the gallon in winter <and our gallons are bigger>
but i only have it hot
its kinda like a concentrate <sp> you add it to water <hot or cold>
try that
~VeNT

Posts: 101 | From: truro cornwall england | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WAH!

No, we don't, Vent. But let me tell you that when I came back to the States after living in England in 1990, the ONLY thing I brought back were two cases of Ribena, and I did my best to make them last.

Ribena (a blackcurrent concentrate one mizes with water) is heaven on earth. Now you made me nostalgic.

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooooh, Ribena......yum yum yum.
Hadn't thought about that for years....

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get to drink it everyday here in Singapore.

Ribena kicks butt. It's heaven to drink in our disgustingly hot weather.

I shall send you some, Heather and Caro.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's so wierd that you don't have Ribina in that US but we do in Canada. It's nummy stuff! mmmmmm I used to drink it all the time, haven't had it in a while though, must get my parents to get me some for when I go home for the summer.
Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momma cat
Activist
Member # 363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link to a site where you can have some shipped to you: http://www.britstore.co.uk/itm00287.htm

Unfortunatly, it's about $3.00 US for one bottle! And I don't even want to know what shipping would be! Is it really worth this much? Can anyone find a better price?

Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.