Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » A little problem a friend has...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A little problem a friend has...
ashchris
Neophyte
Member # 1336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ashchris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this friend who I really like and have been wanting to ask out for a while, but she has a boyfriend...
Earlier, I asked her how she was doing and she said that she was doing bad because her boyfriend is mean, and he threatened to commit suicide if she dumped him...
I'm afraid to give her advice however, since I will probably tell her to dump him so I can go out with her, so that's why I came here.
Thanks, guys 'n' gals.

------------------
13, male.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm

In what way is her boyfriend mean to her? Physically or emotionally abusing her? Too controlling? Or is he just a jerk every once in a while?

If her boyfriend really says that to her, both of them should be talking to someone. He's most likely using it as an excuse not to be alone and to feel he has total control over the situation. He may use it later for worse things (if you don't have sex with me, I'll kill myself). Or maybe he is serious. You never know. Either way, try to get her and her boyfriend to talk to a counselor or a parent.

As far your participation, your non-platonic feelings for her may get in the way of good advice. Get get to talk to someone else, instead of you in the mean time.

Kudos for being such a good guy, and good luck.

------------------
Bad Cats!!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, her boyfriend needs help. He could be a potential threat to himself or other people. If he says that, then it's especially hard to tell if he's serious or not. Tell the girl to tell other people, so he can get counseling or something. If she really doesn't want to be in the relationship and he really is mean to her, then she shouldn't have to stay with him. If she wants to discontinue the relationship, tell her to let him down easy and to be as nice as possible about it.

Tell her that it is her decision to break up with him though, don't urge her to just because you like her. If she does break up with him, make your move. Don't come on too strong or anything, but let her know that you like her. Good luck.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats bad. He does need help. I know somebody like that, and he threated to kill her if she ever thought about leaving him.

Everyones right, you cant just say break up with him to benift you. I think that she has to talk to him about how she feels, he has to respect her. Its terrible to be in a situation like this. She doesnt deserve that.

Personally I dont think you should say you like her right now, it might make her feel like shes in a really bad situation. Right now I say just be there for her and talk to her. Maybe when things cool down you can bring it up. I think just being there for her now is the best solution. Good luck, hun.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ashchris
Neophyte
Member # 1336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ashchris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She dumped him...
Now how should I show her that I like her? I've known her around 7 months... Should I ask her out right now? Help. I'm bad at this stuff.

------------------
13, male.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well now that she's out of the relationship it's time for you to....

be her friend!

After you've been in a relationship, especially if it was lengthy and serious, it takes time to get over it. And especially since that last relationship didn't sound too plesant, she's probably going to be wary of hooking up right away. So I'd say that your best bet is probably going to be to be her friend and support her as much as possible while she's dealing with all this. Hang out with her...go to a movie, go out to eat, or just sit around and talk...do all that good "date stuff", except make sure she understands that you don't expect anything from her. And when she's ready to see someone again, hopefully you'll be standing right there in front of her nose!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Reality is nothing but a collective hunch."
~Lily Tomlin

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.