Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Depression During Periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depression During Periods
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've managed to keep track of my moods during my cycle (well just pre-period and during) and I've noticed some striking similarities. I'm always a little snarky, or picky before I get my period and then for the first day or so of my period I get really sensitive, lonely and depressed .

I'm in that period right now and I was wondering whether anyone else has anything to make them feel better? What I'd normally take in my stride makes me feel unloved and just down during the first couple of days. I hate it and now that I've noticed this I know it's not environmental but hormonal and I want to do something about it! I try to take it easy and reassure myself that it is just hormonal, but it still gets me down.

Anyway I hope that someone can help or relate.

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel dirty on the first few days of my period, even though I'll shower, like 3 times a day then. I get depressed, too. Horrible things, periods.

I find that music influences my mood a lot. So when I get bitchy and depressed I (ashamed to admit it, but) put Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera in the CD player. The upbeat rhythms make me feel a lot better.

------------------
Give yourself over to absolute pleasure!! With protection, of course.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are huge hormone swings during the time right before and at the beginning of your period -- it kinda makes sense that it will do something to your mood.

For some people, taking aspirin (the cheapest kind you can get) 4 times a day during the week before your period and during the first 3 days of your period really helps. Salicylic acid, the active ingredient in aspirin, counteracts progesterone, a hormone that spikes a lot during that time and which also causes a lot of the cramps women get at the beginning of their periods. Blocking some of that progesterone also seems to help some women's mood as well.

Getting some moderate exercise, like taking a walk, helps too. And, even though you get those wicked period-time cravings, keeping your food intake on an even keel helps a lot as well: watch your intake of candy and chocolate so that you don't end up in the depression that follows a big sugar high.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gahh! I'm a hormone hurricane today, and no surprise, I'm nearing my period. I get upset very easily when it's a few days prior to my period, and today was no exception.

Problem is, I think I went to far this time. I kicked my boy out of my apartment and told him not to see me for a while. And while he was trying to comfort me, I snapped -- literally -- I bit his finger. Then I spent my day a sobbing wreck in bed. I've wasted a valuable day I was supposed to use for calling up companies for a fund-raiser I'm putting together. I barely got any studying done; did some to get myself to stop crying. Who can cry when they're reading about pre-colonial Southeast Asia?

But worst of all, i hurt my boy's feelings. i still don't want to see him, because what he said genuinely upset me, and I have midterms anyway that i need to study for. We have work to do. but still, I'm actually sorry for being a bitch who makes living into a real chore and goes nuts for no reason and gets jealous way too easily.

uggh. i still feel rather shitty -- i need to crawl back into bed with a textbook.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest taking a bath. My theory is that a bath can cure everything. Or... At least put it off for awhile.

Baths especially work for me during my period when I have cramps. I feel a lot looser, and softer too. Some bath products have relaxing scents in them, so you won't feel so emotional. It helps me a lot!

Unfortanetly, it may not help for you. Everyone is different, but I strongly suggest it. Good luck!

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take a nice hot bath and remind myself that it'll all be over in 7-10 days

I deal w/ depression anyway ... but period time is always h*ll! I like to stick to fruits, veggies and breads. I dunno why, but i'm not really fussy about any meats or anything else when i'm moody. And meditation works great ... clear your head and listen to the birdies on the tape (i hate this lil oval box type thingy that has about 10 different sounds that are great for meditation ... it was something like $35 canadian)

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could take a bath, my res doesn't actually have one! Thanks for the other suggestions...we'll see what happens. Just talking to my mum made me feel a little better cause it was like a long distance shot of love. Just feeling that made a huge difference!

About your boyfriend Gumdrop, if what he said hurt you than it would have hurt you even if you weren't a hormonal mess. Phone him and talk to him about the way you feel when you're feeling better.

Yuck! Midterm time. Good luck to all on that

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Gosh. I get horrible depression before my periods.

I usually just cry. Crying it all out makes me feel better.

Other than that, exercise, a trashy novel and happy music works too.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got my period now. It does make me depressed, sometimes. I get in good moods and bad moods.

I took a bath yesterday and when I got our I felt, clogged....(weird I know) did anyone else have that kind of experience? I asked my mother but she said she never had felt that before....hmmmmm....

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am the same....I have noticed that I get really moody and *down* right before my period...which is kinda weird because I am on the pill and the type of pill I am on is supposed to get rid of PMS symptoms, too. I just noticed that last week, as I was about to get my period, I was really feeling pretty bad. It all felt like it was crushing down on me, and that feeling always scares me, having had clinical depression last year *normal* moods still scare me.

But anyway.
The Aspirin advice sounds great Hanne, yet another reason to start popping aspirin next time.

And Ella, what helps me (apart from the stuff the otehrs have already recommended) is spoiling myself a little, taking some time to make myself feel good, no matter whether it's time to read a good bok and snuggle up with a hot water bottle or whatnot. Every little helps.

Good to hear you're already feeling better.

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinkletoze
Neophyte
Member # 2811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twinkletoze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geez no one knows mor about this depression before ur period than i do
once i sat in my tub and cried and criend and cried for nearly an hour
adn to tell u the truth there was notten specific that was bothering me..just a few itty bitty things that just magnified itslef in my hormone ravaged mind!!!
but sometimes a good cry does help
and a nice long nap and hibernation from civilization for a few days ...for the sake of mankind of course!
i also find htat writing eases my mind
or just talking to myself..

------------------
smile:)
its the second best thing u can do with your lips

Posts: 29 | From: somehwere in the caribbean..arent u jealous?:) | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.