Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » food supplements / herbal teas that ease menstrual cramps

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: food supplements / herbal teas that ease menstrual cramps
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Girls,

I’ve been wondering whether any of you have any good advice regarding food supplements or herbal teas to help ease menstrual cramps.

Miz S recommends Vitamin E and K and tea made of red raspberry leaf, strawberry leaf, peppermint and ginger in the “on the rag” article.
Anyone good experiences with that or any other good recommendations? Anyone who ever tried the Yogi teas for women?

Would be great to hear what has (or hasn't) helped you.

Thanks,
Alaska

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard if you drink a lot of calcium, then your cramps arent as bad.

But thats all the ones I know. I just pop an non-asprin pill and let that work and I am fine. Usually I try not to take medicines, cuz I just dont like to.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Its the best feeling in the world to know that somebody loves you more then anything in the world! *~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
india
Activist
Member # 2550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for india     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kama Sutra Kutta this book has good food advice for a good sex life. in India there is a kind of root very famus called KuttaBandor. many Guru advice to eat it everyday.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bgchick
Neophyte
Member # 2345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bgchick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
India, Kama Sutra is not exctly what she's looking for-it has positions, but not anything else conserning this topic.
I think what Ms. S wrote is the best solution.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had VERY bad cramps for the longest time.

When I stopped eating meat, I stopped getting cramps.

Correlation? Who knows.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a show on the history channel about the Kama Sutra, and it said that it covers much more than just sexual positions; it is about all aspects of sexuality. It consists of (let me know if i have the numbers wrong) 7 books and 35 chapters, with the most famous parts being about intercourse and that sort of thing. It also has parts about how lovers should care for eachother, how to meet a lover, and other non-intercourse things like that. I have yet to get my hands on a copy of it, but it sounds like a very interesting book, especially considering how long ago it was written.

India, what good things does the KuttaBandor root do for the body? I've heard of it before, but i'm not too sure what it does. Do you know?

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I need my conscience to keep watch over me
To protect me from myself
So I can wear honesty like a crown on my head
When I walk into the promised land

Aria of Mayhem

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, a bar of Cadbury chocolate does wonders for me. But then, that's all I reach for when I'm sad, happy, angry, in pain or in no pain.

Hot tea usually helps. Any tea although I enjoy my Chinese green tea and rose tea. Although I think it's more the heat that helps my cramps as compared to the tea itself.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
india
Activist
Member # 2550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for india     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The KuttaBandor root is for the whol body. it increse the sex power. Guru tells to eat in the morning. you have to put the root in water for whole night. drink the water then. wit some salt and GUR a kind of sweet. another kind of oil name "Goruchagol" you can add, to message the sex orgns. this to keep clen. Kamasutra Kutta is a book diffrnt from Kamasutra. This book is for food to have good helth so you can have good sex life. It is written by Sundanbandor Chudna. a very wise man who was expert he had 10 thousnd women.he lived 200 yrs. its many many yrs ago. its very intresting.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, everyone.

Lin - tried the chocolate thing yesterday..and that didn't help ...even imported swiss chocolate didn't do the trick.

And re: meat - lemming, that an interesting thing. Hm, too bad that I hardly eat any meat these days already.

India - that KuttaBandor root sounds interesting, I think I'll head to the library now for more info. Thanks.

Maybe I should simply head to my doc and ask him about it, I never had any cramps ever since I got on the pill a few years back..until 3 or 4 months ago.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aspirin.

Really. If you prefer, you can get your salicylic acid from a plant source (willow bark), but aspirin is an excellent antiprogestin and, taken as a preventive during the week before your period and into the first couple of days of it, really cuts down on cramping and clotting.

Get the cheapest plainest aspirin you can buy, no caffiene added, just aspirin. Take 4 a day during the week before your period and during the first couple of days. It really helps, because progesterone is what causes much of the smooth muscle tissue cramping associated with menstruation in the first place, and antiprogestins block progesterone.

Give it a whirl. It's cheap and easy.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hot baths really help me, I still get bad cramps, even though I'm on the pill...and Asprin helps too....

------------------
Kids in the backseat cause accidents. Accidents in the backseats cause kids! (So be careful!) Luvs to Jeremy! Email me at Ladybug705@yahoo.com

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom told me to stay away from chocolate when you have cramps. It only makes them worse.

I take 400 or 800 mg asprain. It works. Trust me

------------------
Last night I felt, that you kissed me different
And I remained, without knowing what to do
I know you and I know
that something isn't right, come tell me the truth I don't want to imagine that it was the last kiss

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For temporary relief, my mom taught me a form of breathing that's related to some of what they do in Lamaze (I think). As you inhale, push your abdominal muscles out, like you're trying to make your tummy look fat. As you exhale, pull the muscles in, i.e., suck in your stomach. Repeat over and over. If you're subtle about it you can do it so nobody notices, and it's good for surviving for a while until the aspirin kicks in.

------------------
And I've got no illusions about you.
Guess what? I never did.
When I said, when I said, "I'll take it."
I meant, I meant As Is.
--Ani DiFranco, "As Is"

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Thanks gals.....Hanne, I think I'll try the Aspirin thing next time....and if that doesn't help a date with my doc will be scheduled...

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.