Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Bleeding gums

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bleeding gums
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello ladies! Well I'm not sure if you'd know anything about this or not but I thought I give it a try. Well for a couple weeks now everytime I brush my teeth my gums bleed awfuly. At first it was just one tooth, or gum, that would bleed. Not it's both my top and bottoms bleed heavily. It's kinda freaks me out because there is so much blood. It can't be my toothbrush because I've had it for aleaset a month of two. I don't floss like I should either. I've made a denist appt but it's not till the 27th and I thought maybe I could get some early feedback. Thanks!

------------------
~*~Buff Chick~*~
*kiss*kiss* to my Karamel Kid! :)

"No one can stop you from who you love and the one love is who you love."

"Never frown because you never know when someone is falling in love with your smile."

Watch out! I'm a awful speller. *hehe*

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like some early-stage gum disease or something -- I'm hardly a dentist, so I'm glad you made an appointment to get things checked out. I do know that if you are dealing with gingivitis or something like that, it's something that can be controlled and that can heal quite a bit, particularly since you're young.

My advice would be to brush regularly, invest in some dental floss, rinse with hydrogen peroxide once or twice a day (something I was once told to do when I had an infected abcess in my gum, it helps kill germs, and it can't hurt -- but remember to spit the peroxide out!), and see that dentist, chicabelle.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a dentist but I play one on TV *just kidding*.

It sounds like you haven't been taking good care of your gums. Beyond brushing your teeth after meals, flossing once a day, preferably before bedtime, can help keep them healthy. The bleeding is a sign that you have been neglecting them and they are sensitive. It is also a symptom gum disease.

Usually, if you start taking care of them the bleeding will subside over time. However, that all depends on how far gone they are.

Definitely, bring this to your dentist's attention when you go, though you can't really trick your dentist into thinking you practice better oral hygiene than you really do. He/She will likely know what's up when examining your teeth and gums.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody answer!

Just as an aside: do remember that whenever you have mouth sores or bleeding or scraped gums that you are at an increased risk for STD/STI transmission orally. So, if you are engaging in any form of oral sex, be sure to use a condom or a dental dam.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.