Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » How do I break this "shell"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do I break this "shell"
HiroBarton
Neophyte
Member # 1924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HiroBarton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For many years I have been cold and unfeeling(I would show no feelings on the outside)and I'm getting tired of it. The reason I've been giving my self is no longer has any meaning to me(My reason was "I'm a soldier and a ture soldier does nothing but fight." metaphoricly speaking) I dont even know why I came up with that. All i want is to beable to show the people i have feelings for but I dont know how. I'm tired of being cold and alone.

[This message has been edited by HiroBarton (edited 12-16-2000).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why did you suddenly decide to start showing people your feelings? Are you this way to everyone (including your family) ? What made you feel like you should be acting like a "soldier" in the first place?? These are some q's you need to ask yourself before you turn to people who have no clue about what's goin on!

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
"Don't go in the teepee without a condom on your peepee"~Dumb & Dumber

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you can start slowly. start simply with verbalizing and describing things that make you feel good. detail how they make you feel, extending past "good."

por ejemplo: i really enjoy rock climbing. i love the exhiliaration i feel when i am 20 feet above ground with nothing but a string holding me up. i like being surrounded by nature because i feel closer to the earth.

it's about capturing a feeling. you can try working your way towards things that upset you.

on a side note, i really feel like i need to say it, i'm usually such a mellow, stoic person, but for some time now, i've been feeling so low. i think i am depressed -- i cannot snap out of it. i had to leave my boyfriend's place today because i felt like i was going to fall apart. so i came home and got online. i feel a little better now. i mean, every now and then, i'll be really excited after a show. last night, is a fine example of that. but the novelty wears off quickly.

i need to sleep this off.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Gumdrop Girl, try to start to identify your feelings again....only to yourself at first. Why don't you start to write in a diary? - That often helps to clear things in your head. Opening up to other people takes time and is a long process, so don't rush things. Give yourself some time....you didn't "close up" from one day to the other so take you time to open up as well.
All the best,
Alaska

And Gumdrop Girl - *sending you lots of positive energy*

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tenshi
Neophyte
Member # 2210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tenshi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well first off.. that pesky Zechs and his Epyon are in the way lol sorry..

truth be told.. I feel the same way..
but Ive manage to nab a few friends (heya lilbluesmurf) but I think I'm beginning to snap out of it... but it's been gradual.. maybe realizing that there are people who care and deserve the same in return was what sent me on the 'road to recovery' I don't know.. on the other hand you can simply force yourself until it becomes more comfortable for you... besides...

(If any of you havent seen Gundam wing, you might not get this.. but it is relevant)

Hiro, even though he's a 'true soldier' feels strongly about defending the colonies and his love for both the Earth and outer space.. the only reason he tries to be cold is that for him feelings were counterproductive...

and to everyone else that's worried about the 'soldier' part.. I don't think there's anything wrong with that philosophy.. (there's more than one way to fight) even though Im not blowing stuff up in a big robot (lol) I like to think of myself the same way.. sometimes 'soldier' can mean simply determinedness...

hmm, on the other hand.. maybe I talk too much lol..

------------------
"There's no bright future for soldiers who scurry for their reward"

-"Zechs Merquise"

Posts: 4 | From: Napanee, Ontario, Canada (sigh) | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you been deliberately trying to appear cold, or is it just something that's ended up happening? If it's the latter, then it might just be the way you are. Some people simply aren't very expressive, and there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself.

If you care about someone, just tell them. People who've been around you for a while will understand that you're not very outwardly emotional, and if they like you for who you are (or who you appear to be, if seeming cold is a deliberate attempt on your part), this won't bother them. If you like, you can also explain to them that you're fairly stoic on the outside, and possibly add that you're working on changing this. Again, if they care about you, they'll understand.

And if you're worried that no one will like you because you're not all gushy and emotional, don't. There are people out there who will like you. I speak from personal experience here -- I'm extremely emotionless in everyday interaction, and plenty of people think I'm nifty.

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HiroBarton
Neophyte
Member # 1924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HiroBarton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a little combination of wanteding to be cold and just turing out that way. Things in my past have programed me to be emotionaless.

Yes I have watch Gundam Wing. And the reason I use the Name HiroBarton is because I think i'm kind of like Heero Yuy and Trowa Barton(As well as Millardo).

Posts: 16 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilentAngel
Neophyte
Member # 2244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilentAngel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorta like Heero(I like to spell it that way), Trowa, and Wufei.

I don't really show much feelings toward others and I'm not really a person that would comfort people. I'm really silent, not really one of those people that are happy and moronic like Duo.

Like Wufei, I think everything is injustice.(My parents rantings at me, School, life, and this stupid screen keeps wiggling >.<# Damn EMI.)

I'm terribly uncomfortable being around people, I'd rather be alone sometimes. My mom says I act like a snob because I never smile and like I never say 'hello' to people. But its just because I'm too nervous around people.

Ok this screen is making me sick from the wiggling so I'm gunna get off.

Posts: 10 | From: F.W.B.,Florida,United States | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phsygnosis
Activist
Member # 2226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phsygnosis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend was the same way. She had this "shell" and wouldn't let me in or her out. The thing that got her out was going out with me and experiancing how good it feel to express and recieve love. I don't know if this helped you but that might be a way.

-Phsygnosis

Posts: 88 | From: Canton, Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it that you find it hard to open up to people (ie. take a long time to build up trust) or is it that you don't open up to anyone ever? I think that sometimes it's hard to open up to people if you don't trust easily. I know that for me I used to find it hard to believe that people would like me for me, so I'd keep myself close unless I was around people I really trusted. I don't know how I've changed except that I do open up more easily. I care less about what people think. Try to find people that you trust and realise that they probably will like you more if you trust them.
If it's that you just can't open up to anyone tthen I think that the journal idea is a really good one. Opening up your emotions to yourself is the first step then inject some small emotion into your daily life, enough so that you don't feel threatened by it. Just take it one step at a time and you'll find yourself slowly opeing up

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HiroBarton
Neophyte
Member # 1924

Things in my past have caused me to distrust anyone with my true feelings. With out getting into too much detail I was encouraged to express my self yet when i did I was druged up and than put in a prison(They seen me as a theright to the Nazi-ism and had to deal with me the only way they knew how).
All that hell i went throught in 6th-8th grade basicly screwed me over(I'm now in 12th.) I learned to show no feelings at all. I'm neutral on the out side(it's kind of different on the inside)

I think it;s kind of pathetic that i'm 18 and never had a GF. You'd think a person would get used to the fact they are alone(being that I try to be the soldier) but i cant get used to it.

HiroBarton
Neophyte
Member # 1924

I think I figure out the ture cause of this "shell".Behavorism(It's the concept that we repeat actions rewarded and avoid actions we are punished for, something i just learn in socialogy) As I "flashback" on the hell i went throught in 6th and 7th grade I was encouraged to express my-self but when what i felt was not to everyones liking i was literlay locked up and druged(Goes a little bit deeper then that but it's a good sumed up version). Something I dont wish to repeat.
Now that I kind of found the cause all i need to do is figure out how to fix it this problem

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.