Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Why do we orgasm?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why do we orgasm?
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know exactly where i should post this, but i have always been wondering it.

Why exactly do we have orgasms? Women dont need them for any reproductive reason (do they?). Why did our bodies, and minds, make them possable?

Everyone here knows that sex is not about the orgasm (as we must tell frustrated visitors unsatisfied with their love lives) so if sex isnt about orgasm why do we get them?

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I saw a program on I think it was the Discovery Channel that said that orgasm might possibly aid women in conception. I don't know exactly how true that is...but these doctors had placed a tiny camera inside a woman's uterus (I think, it's been a while since I saw it). And apparently when she reached orgasm, her cervix kinda dipped down into the pool created by the man's ejaculate and created a suction, helping it to reach it's goal. Like I said, I saw it on TV, and I have no idea how true that is, but I felt like sharing anyway!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later when you're sure they won't laugh if you trip."
~Jonathan Carroll

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XxFIFxX
Activist
Member # 2109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XxFIFxX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
because girls need something out of sex.

------------------
*I wish I didn't care, but I do*

Posts: 62 | From: Los Angeles, CA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trouble is that it sounds like the assumption you're making is that all sexuality and sensuality must be realted in some way to reproduction, and that there must have been some grand human design that has us all engineered for certain purposes. And that approach is only one of many.

In the most basic sense, our entire bodies are like lightning rods for stimulus from the senses, and recptivity to sexual stimulus is really just one more of those. And we certainly aren't the only species to be that way: species which do survive are highly sensitive and recptive in general.

if it all had to do with reproduction, we'd have a lot more questions than just this one, like: why do anuses have so many nerve endings which provide sexual stimulus? Why does kissing bring us sexual pleasure? Why do people pair-bond?

There's no real answer to your question, because no one has the blueprint for human evolution or design. Any answer to that would be sheerly theory, and it could be all over the map. We may find sexual pleasure in things that aren't reproductive expressly to CURB reproduction, for instance. On the other hand, orgasm and sexual arousal also produces more vaginal lubrication which is conducive to conception, and sexual pleasure does compel people to want to sexually pair.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we talked about this a bit last year in my biology class. i *think* one of the theories is that since women and men evolved commonly, the female sexual response and the male sexual response are similar in many ways. for instance, clitoral tissue is the same as penile tissue, except that the urethra runs through the penis.

also, this has to do maybe with the way men and women differentiate in development. in the womb, i believe the fetuses are essentially the same in terms of reproductive organs, until in the case of a baby boy, his brain begins to release testosterone, triggering the development of a penis and testes. so basically, the same nerves are there, but the orgasm serves a clear reproductive purpose <most often through ejaculation> whereas this purpose is not so clear for women. maybe. i'm sure there's someone who knows more about this than me around.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not?

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow Stalker
Activist
Member # 2516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadow Stalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As KittenGoddess said, I saw the same thing on the discovery channel. They found that when a woman has a g-spot orgasm, apparently their pain recepters are almost completely numbed... Making giving birth not as painful as it would be. (And **** , from what I've heard it's still pretty damn painful anyways!)

One thing I know is that sex is a very potent way of physically bonding with someone... And that perhaps the orgasm contributes to this bonding process?

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Start asking that, and you might wake up tomorrow morning and find that you can't orgasm any more.

------------------
Seid umschlungen, Millionen!
Diesen Kuss der ganzen Welt!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dont say that!
Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mophead said it.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.