Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » How long will a period last?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long will a period last?
Lil_Azn_Hunny
Neophyte
Member # 2357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil_Azn_Hunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.
I am new to my period, I just got it yesterday.
I just need to know, how long will it last for? Then when it stops, how long will it stop for?

------------------
Lots of Love,
-LiLy xoxo

Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well welcome to the boards hunny! We're always glad to have new posters!

Check out this article about periods! That should answer most of your questions.

But to give you a basic answer (not that this means you shouldn't read the article!), periods generally last somewhere around 5 days, and there can be anywhere between 23 to 35 days between periods, although it averages out at about 28 days generally. BUT it is important to note two things here. First, cycles are different for every woman, so yours may be longer or shorter depending. And second, it can take 5 years (more or less depending on your body) for your period to regulate. So don't get freaked out if you don't have one in exactly 28 days!

Hope that answered your question. Go read that article! And if you have any more questions, feel free to post em' up! Oh, and you might aquaint yourself with the Search function for Pink Slip and the Search function for the boards, they can be of much help in times of trouble ! Anyway, once again, welcome to the boards!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell."
~Joan Crawford

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, congratulations!

As Kitten said, it varies, and especially so in the first few years that you have your cycles. But in general, most periods last between about three to eight days.

And do take in the article she linked to, it touches on just about everything you could want to know.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awww!

*hugs*
Congrats on being a menstruating woman!

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lil_Azn_Hunny
Neophyte
Member # 2357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil_Azn_Hunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx everyone!!!

------------------
Lots of Love,
-LiLy xoxo

Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Group hug!
Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should be getting your period for another 30 years or so. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.