Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » I declared today sexual health day for me.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I declared today sexual health day for me.
Lelaylay
Neophyte
Member # 6494

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lelaylay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you may remember that I posted a while ago about birth control confidentiality if I decided not to tell my mom that I was going on the pill.
I decided, however, that I should tell her. My sister is gay, and they were open an accepting about that, so I just prayed that my mom would be cool with what I had to tell her. My best friend's parents are very similar to mine in their parenting styles- (very strict, protective, demanding of academic success, cautious about boys etc.).. but this morning she told me that she told her mom that she got birth control from her gyn last week.. and her mom was very accepting of this. I took this as maybe a little bit of hope that it would work the same way for me.
So, I decided to make a day of it. I was SO nervous about talking to my mom.. so I almost found a way to warm up. My friend and I both needed to re-stock our condom supplies so we went to the store to buy some. I got some astroglide too. I wanted some bikini zone stuff but they didn't have it at that drug store so we had to go to another. Well, the cashier at the first store must have gotten a little flustered by the two beautiful girls (modest, hehe) buying sex supplies, and he forgot to take the censor off of my pack of condoms. So I went into eckerd to get some bikini zone and the censor goes off there! Ahh! I had to take out the condoms (they were in my backpack/purse thing) and give them to THAT lady to de-magnetize. By this time, I felt like the whole world knew about my sex life.. so why should I feel uncomfortable talking to my mom about it??
I did it first thing when I came home. I didn't even let myself talk me out of it. I just sat down and told her I had something very important to discuss. Hehe, and guess what!? She was cool about it. I was shocked. She said "my main concern would be STD's" and I explained that I am very well educated and know my stuff and am just as concerned about that as she is. I was so nervous she would hate me but she was just like "I was 17 too." And everything is cool with the pill and she said that she thought I am acting very responsibly. She was also happy that I came to talk to her about it instead of getting pills on my own since she knows I can do that without permission. She said that she's thought about bringing up the topic of birth control to me but was afraid I wouldn't be open to it! ha! And to think I was the one who was worried!
So the moral of the story: If you're one of those people who are like "Not MY parents. THEY won't be cool with it." I thought that too. I was so wrong. And I feel so much better.

[This message has been edited by Lelaylay (edited 01-28-2002).]

Posts: 13 | From: Tonawanda NY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All right! I'm glad to hear that everything went well and that you're doing things that are good for you!

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 12 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats great! I really wish that I would have told my parents (or just my mother). My mom always said that I could come to her. I was just scared and I couldnt do it. The way she always told me that I could go to her, and then to have her find out that I didnt was so heartbreaking to her. I really wish I had gone to her.

Well now, (since thats when I was 16 and now I am 18) shes taking me to the GYNO, and the whole nine-yards. Its nice to know that you can talk to your mother.

Props to you, and I am glad that you had the courage to go up to her and tell her what was going on.

PS. I never had a problem like that with condoms yet, but I'm sure that my time will come sooner or laters!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

“One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am 3 stamps away from finishing up my good Vibes Safer Sex League card. When I'm done, I'll receive $5 off my next purchase and $5 will be donated to locals AIDS and HIV prevention programs. yea ME! I do love living in this part of the world...

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duckling
Neophyte
Member # 9531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duckling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, this is the kind of post I LOVE. Hearing about other girls being proactive about their sexual health fills me with joy, because it means that eventually we will be a safer, more sex-positive society. Thank you for this uplifting post!
Posts: 36 | From: US of A | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some thing *you* can do if you want to have a Sexual Health Day of your own:

1. See your gynecologist, or see a doctor
2. Stock up safer sex supplies
3. Sign up to volunteer at Planned Parenthood (they have a high school student internship program)
4. Read some informative materials about sexual health
5. Pick a disease and learn all about it (or as much as you can)
6. Make your own anatomy diagram and color it with your friends
7. Throw a sexual health party with discussions, lectures, and demonstrations

feel free to add your ideas

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you can visit the "What's in your safer sex kit?" thread if you're looking for inspiration on what to stock up on - or if you want to brag about all the cool stuff you just bought .
Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scorpio
Activist
Member # 4154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scorpio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something i'm doing right now for myself and to better my sex life? Reading probably the best book on sex i've ever found: The Good Vibrations Guide to Sex. It has a really neat story behind it which makes it even more interesting to read. My dad's fiancee gave it to me and said she got it when she was 19-20 and wished she had gotten it when she was my age (16). It's friendly towards all types of sexuality of all ages and covers sooo much stuff. I'm learning things i never knew about loving myself, birth control, massage, masturbation, creative touching and so much more.
Posts: 83 | From: Seattle, Washington | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
probably the best book on sex i've ever found: The Good Vibrations Guide to Sex.

Yay, isn't it great? I think the latest edition (the third one) has just been published. That's a cool thing for your dad's fiancee to do .

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scorpio
Activist
Member # 4154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scorpio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by logic_grrl:
Yay, isn't it great? I think the latest edition (the third one) has just been published. That's a cool thing for your dad's fiancee to do .

Have you looked at more than one of editions? Do you notice any differences? She gave me the first edition since this is her copy and she got it almost 10 years ago. I'm looking into getting myself a copy so i can give her's back so i was just wondering are there any good or bad changes?

Posts: 83 | From: Seattle, Washington | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

I haven't got my new copy yet, so I've only seen the second edition. But apparently their aim is to keep updating it so that all the information on safer sex, different types of sex toys available, and so on, is as up-to-date as possible .

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.