Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Missing Period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missing Period?
Rachel
Activist
Member # 1941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rachel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone! My name is Rachel and i am 15 years old. Well i have never had my period yet. I mean my Mom got hers at 13. I am getting curious about why i have not gotten mine yet. I mean is there something wrong with me?? Like all of my friends have had their periods and have already developed when i have barely started developing. Whats wrong with me??
Posts: 64 | From: Long Island NY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blah blah everyone developes at their own rate, blah blah. That is probably your case. Usually, you would get your period around the age your mom did. But not always.
Some signs of a soon-to-be period are:
Pubic hair (it gets dark & curly)
Breast development, hips, etc.
Vaginal Discharge (THis is a biggie. Clear or whitish ODORLESS vaginal discharge are a big sign. But, I had discharge for 2 or 3 years before I got my period.)

If your haven't gotten your period by the time you're 16, it's time to see a gynocologist. There are different diseases and conditions that could cause you not to menstruate. Also, weight plays a part in menstraution. If you are extremely skinny or have an eating disorder, it would throw off your cycle. Girls need a certain amount of fat to be able to menstraute. Emotions also have a part:if you are extremely stressed over something, it can mess things up. So chill out for a bit hun. Don't worry too bad.

------------------
Yeah, well I'VE got blood dripping out of a hole between my legs, do YOU?!?
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's not even abnormal to get your period at 18, even if you began some aspects of puberty at ten. It's truly all over the map. It's likely nothing is wrong with you, your body is just developing at its own pace.

But, as always, when in doubt, see your doctor and ask. Since a doctor has your medical history, and can look at your overall development, general health and weight and *really* assess if things are hunky-dory or not, that's the best person to ask, and there is no shame whatsoever in asking this question. Girls ask it every day.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O wow..I never knew. The misinformation people give out .

------------------
Yeah, well I'VE got blood dripping out of a hole between my legs, do YOU?!?
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're so funny, pink.

Really, it's just all over the map, especially now that puberty is coming WAY earlier for some girls due to obesity and food preservatives and hormones, etc.

It's so hard to homogenize people, and people try and do it all the time. Sometimes, there are good reasons for trying, like health guidelines like these, but often, those guidlines are presented as somewhat inflexible, and then we all get confused.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ohh my g spot
Neophyte
Member # 1877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ohh my g spot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom got hers when she was seventeen...I got mine when I was thirteen.
Posts: 27 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoupPrincess
Activist
Member # 1856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoupPrincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate didn't get hers untill she was 18. Her body was under so much stress from her anorexia that it was unable to devote the energy to menstuation. It is a common problem with people with an extremely low amount of body fat. Could that be a factor? It was just something I thought of...

------------------
When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.

Posts: 47 | From: Bloomington IL (the boringest place on earth) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soupy, there's something called the Critical Weight Hypothesis. Basically, it postulates that women need a certain amount of body fat to begin menstruating. That, and strenuous exercise can prevent menses.

------------------
Maurice! Bring in the albinos! muwahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rachel
Activist
Member # 1941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rachel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for replying everyone. I'm glad to know that there isn't really anything wrong with me. Now i read that you said that your friend didn't get hers because of Anorexia well i don't have an eating disorder but i am underweight for my age. Could that have something to do with it??????
Posts: 64 | From: Long Island NY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be that you are underweight for your age because you aren't as far into puberty as most girls your age. Of course it could be something else, so if you're really worried about it go to see a doctor- a doctor will be able to tell you for sure if something's wrong, rather than guessing.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being underweight can definitely affect whether or not women menstruate regularly -- or at all. (It tends to affect whether or not women ovulate.) Being underweight also tends to affect the rate of sexual maturation for girls and young women. It will still happen, but sometimes it just takes a bit longer. You might want to check with a doctor about it just to be on the safe side.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rachel
Activist
Member # 1941

I went to the doctor today and i am going to be having tests done. I am just wondering but what types of stuff could be wrong that can affect me from having my period??????
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'll go thru as many as i know off the top of my head, even the really far-fetched ones.

1. you have no ovaries, that's pretty simple.

2. you are a genetic XY male whose body cannot respond to testosterone, therefore you look like a girl but you have no girl parts inside you (don't laugh too hard, jamie lee curtis has this condition)

3. you are a late bloomer, nothing wrong with that

4. your hymen covers your vagina so completely that no menstrual flow can get through

5. blockage in your fallopian tubes

6. inability to make gonadotropin releasing hormone (which triggers the synthesis of other hormones)

7. defective ovaries

hmm, that's about it for me, let's hope you're just normal. you probably are, since a lot of these conditions are *really* rare.

------------------
Maurice! Bring in the albinos! muwahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.