Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » This Is My Brain On Sex.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This Is My Brain On Sex.
Luc
Neophyte
Member # 72891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I masturbate or have sex with a partner, I usually have images or thoughts flash into my head. They are completely random from what I can tell and not flashbacks like those associated with PTSD. I don't think they are me drifting in and out of dream state, either. I think they occur close to or during orgasm, but they've occurred during stimulation beforehand, too. I tend to be focusing on a fantasy or my partner, so I don't tend to try to figure out or remember what exactly the rapid and fleeting images/thoughts are. However, I have definitely noticed that they have been numbers more than a few times. I tried to pay attention the last time I masturbated and got pieces from two famous 19th century paintings, hot pink, an elephant ear, something resembling a funnel, and numbers. Granted, that could be observation bias or whatever, but it's what I can do. I am not particularly attracted to any of these things. I'm sure some of them could be considered sexual or made sexual in some context, but that's not the context I'm seeing them in. This isn't a huge problem, but as I now have a steady partner and have been having more partnered sex, I have started to worry that they distract me and make me feel not 100% present. Any clue as to what this may be and how I can work on it?
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When people are sexually aroused, all kinds of chemicals and hormones are doing all sorts of things in the body, and in the brain.

It sounds as if this isn't distracting to you unless you pay attention to it, so I'm wondering what concerns you about the level of attention you're able to pay to your partner? Do you think you might not be paying enough attention to your partner, or are you worried that you're not?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luc
Neophyte
Member # 72891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't necessarily remember what the images/thoughts consist of unless I pay attention to them, but I do notice it as background noise and it is slightly to moderately distracting. I tell my partner what I like and what I don't like during sex and I reciprocate and listen to them, it's just...distracting, still. Hard to explain, sorry.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luc
Neophyte
Member # 72891

Any more thoughts or suggestions?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Luc!

I actually get the same thing! I mostly get random scenes (like an outdoor market or a train at a station) and colourful morphing shapes. I've always considered it a (sexy) form of synesthesia [Razz] With all your neurons firing and all those hormones being released, it's not surprising some of the "wires" get crossed.

It's never really bothered me though, as I figure, most people right at the point of orgasm kind of "zone out" almost because of all the hormones firing -- not like they're not paying attention to what's going on, but that the intensity of orgasm kind of wipes your mind of anything that makes any kind of sense. Nobody seems to be particularly... mentally present during that time (have you ever tried asking your partner a math question while they orgasm? You get some pretty funny answers... I wouldn't suggest doing it often, people might find it annoying [Razz] ) so if I were you I wouldn't be worried about not paying your partner enough attention, as they experience something similar, even without the random mental images.

But if you do find that it's just too distracting for you, maybe you could try learning meditation and then apply the techniques (of keeping your mind silent) while you're masturbating/having sex? Other than that I'm not sure how much control you can have over it, as it is just a chemical reaction going on.

[ 05-13-2012, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luc
Neophyte
Member # 72891

Thank you! I will possibly look into meditation, but for now, I'll just try to be more aware and/or not let it bug me.
Ketrel
Activist
Member # 49204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ketrel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, I have this too. I haven't found it to be distracting, since I know it's going to happen, and I've learned to pay no attention to it.
Posts: 123 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes when I'm having sex with my partner, I get random music in my head - favourite songs, or music I had listened to recently that I like a lot - and that usually tells me that I'm relaxed and having a good time. It's "background noise," as well, like your images and thoughts. I agree with the others' posts: try not to let it bother you! Do you ever have these random thoughts or images at other times during the day?

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.