Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Depression ... and periods?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depression ... and periods?
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiyas ... !!

Okie i was wondering if you guys get as down as i do when i'm on my period ... I've had a problem w/ depression for a few yrs, but things are starting to look up.

Except for today ... everything was just peachy, until the end of the day. I was supposed to go to band, but as soon as i got out of last period i started crying my eyes out, for no reason!! The day was alright, i have nothing to cry about ... but now i've created more problems because i didn't go to band like i should've

Do i worry too much? I dunno. It's something i should be used to i guess. At least one or two days out of my cycle i'm just a freaking basket case. If someone looks at me the wrong why, i burst into tears. Please tell me i'm not alone on this one ...

I also wanna know if there's a connection b/w depression and periods ... Like if your period could be worse (stress levels, cramps, other stuff) because of depression and if your depression can be worse because of your period (hormones, always crying) ???

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
U2girl
Activist
Member # 1524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U2girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey girl,
u know what i have a big problem with that as well,, and i guess its because our hormones are just jumpin all over the place or something. Its hard im really not sure if u can really fix that...

------------------
PEACE

Posts: 111 | From: Toronto, ont,canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There actually is a connection between periods and depression. I read somewhere that right before your period, woman are more likely to commit suicide. I believe it!

Usually the day I get my period I cry, always do, no matter what, over the stupidest things too. That's how I know it's on it's way. I always feel like my life is falling apart and then the next day I'm thinking, what was I soooo upset about!? hehe. You're not alone!

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{

"It's a narrow margin, just room enough for regret, in the inch and a half between, "Hey, how ya been?" and "Can I kiss you yet?"

~Alisons Life~

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daizyconfused
Neophyte
Member # 1622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daizyconfused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just went thought some TERRIBLE depression with my period. i had no reason for it either... i got so bad that i nearly went back into my "clinically depressed" stage. this only happens to me maybe every other month now--it used to be two weeks out of a month. "buck up lil camper" ^_^ i think it's normal.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wandering stranger
Neophyte
Member # 1761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wandering stranger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.. I"m pretty sure there is some sort of correlation. My friend had to be put on Paxil becaues on her period, her depression gets into borderline clincal depression level.. but I think its like a mix of your period and how it just makes the problems in your life seem bigger.

------------------
Don't complain about growing old, because so many never get the chance.
*Kriss*

Posts: 3 | From: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I completely know what you mean about getting depressed and crying for no reason when you're on your period. The same thing happens to me every month. I cry over nothing, I get mad at my friends over stupid stuff, everything and everyone seems to annoy me more than usual. I know that I'm one of those people who is prone to get depressed even between periods, but sometimes I can hardly get out of bed in the mornings during my period. But I have found something that works remarkably well for me, to at least control it. I take an herbal suppliment called Sam-e, it's a mood balancer that really doesn't seem (in clinical tests, or for me personally) to have any side effects, and it really does seem to work to help keep me from getting depressed.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"If it is your time, love will track you down like a cruise missile."
~Lynda Barry

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm a lot of people really like using that herbal stuff but it's never actually worked out for me.

I was taking St Johns Wart for a while, but i was also on the pill at the time ... apparently the two pills taken at the same time work against each other and neither works. So i was on 2 diff BC pills in 6 months before we (me, mom, the doctor) figured out what was going on. This is why it's important to tell the doc if you're on any other medicines ... and that means herbal too! I've heard that valarian works pretty good ... i dunno though because i've never tried

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd never taken anything herbal before this, cause I'm basically skeptical about that stuff too. But my mom is a nurse for an endocronologist (sp?), and alot of the people she's talked to said it worked, and she did some research too before she even suggested it to me. I don't have a problem with it interacting with anything else cause I don't take anything else, lol. And whether or not it really works, I can't really say. It might just work for me because I believe that it works, I can't really say. I just know that it seems to work for me.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"If it is your time, love will track you down like a cruise missile."
~Lynda Barry

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.