Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » When we have limits...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When we have limits...
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...just a reminder that we REALLY need y'all to respect them.

Please trust that when we say we can't do a thing, we can't do a thing, and with good reason.

And please, instead of trying to push past that limit, or walk over it, or manipulate around it, or pretend we didn't set it at all, please just accept and respect it.

We do it for y'all, please do us the same turn. Thanks.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I second "We do it for y'all", because often when I set a limit with someone, it's almost always because what's being asked of me is something that feels like it will be unhelpful or even exacerbate a problem and make it worse... which is the main thing that puts it beyond my comfort zone and feels overwhelming for me.

[ 04-20-2013, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping because it seems we need to remind everyone about this again.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

And yet again.

Seriously, y'all.

It really stinks to feel bullied at work, and when people don't respect our limits and keep pushing, that's exactly what this feels like.

Please remember is a free, but low-budget and very busy, service. If you're not satisfied with what we offer you here, by all means, seek out what you're looking for elsewhere. But when we say no, or enough, or that we need you to drop something, you need to do it. Just like "no," or "stop," or "I can't do that," or "I don't want to do that," matters a whole lot when it comes to sex, it matters here, too.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

And once more, with feeling.

When we set a limit with you, PLEASE do not ignore it or try and push past it, or otherwise disrespect it.

Again, we don't do this to any of you -- and if and when we ever do, you should call us out on it immediately -- so we expect you to treat us with the same respect.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

And AGAIN.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Yep, again.

Seriously, I am actually begging some of you, which we should not have to do. [Frown]

When we say no to something, or no more, you all NEED to respect it. This is just basic common courtesy, especially at a free service. But it is, period, you know the drill: no means no.

Please do not make us keep having to repeat this. It is really rough to have many people constantly refusing your no or trying to push or manipulate past your expressed limits, and when we get a lot if that from many people, as keeps being the case, it makes it very, very hard for staff and volunteers to work here comfortably and causes us a lot of burnout.

This should not be this hard| please out some real effort into making it easier by just accepting and respecting our limits. Thanks. We do not want to have to just pull out the banhammer and start throwing it around, but if that turns out to be the only thing that works to get our limits respected, we will.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.