Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » Protocol Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Protocol Question
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone!

I've been struggling with this thought for a few days now, and hesitated to ask it here on the boards because I didn't want to make it appear inappropriate, nosy, or pushy. I apologize sincerely if this is in the wrong section or if this is something I shouldn't be asking.

I've only been here for a few months, but I have noticed that some users will hang out here for a while and then go offline for a bit. I know this is entirely normal (not everyone is connected to their phone or laptop all the time, like me! [Smile] ), but I sometimes worry that some users haven't checked in for weeks or months. I don't really know what I'm asking, but if a user was upset about anything - be it a relationship, friends, or anything in general - would a staff or volunteer email them or check in with them after a while of them being offline?

Again, I really do apologize if this post is in any way sounding negative or if it's out of bounds - I'm more concerned than anything else. I know you are all so busy, and I thank you so much for everything you do to take care of all of us! [Smile]

[ 10-21-2012, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey copper, it's no problem asking!

It can be important to 'sound negative' sometimes when there's stuff we want to question, or even criticise!

With regards to emailing users/ex-users I think it's important, unless there's some exceptional circumstances, that people be able to keep their privacy. There can be all kinds of reasons somebody steps back and it's rather important to me that we respect that. We do offer anonymity here, and for some people part of that means they want to be able to step back when it suits them

I know I can worry that people are doing ok as well, especially if I didn't hear back from them, it's not very nice. But I actually think it's an important part of the site!

Is there a particular user you were really worried about? Or is this more general?

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jacob!

After reading your post, I do understand that it is important to respect others' privacy and that would also entail allowing them to step back if need be. I know I appreciate it when I'm able to get some time alone - it's just that I do worry about them (or anyone in general) if I don't see them around (here or with respect to "real-world" relationships).

I am worried about a few users, but the question was also from a general perspective, as well. Thank you so much for answering this post - this topic had been coming up in my mind for days and I appreciate the time you took to answer! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, copper. I'll just add that sometimes, if we feel we have reason to be concerned about a user's well-being or safety, we do sometimes send them an email just to check up with them if they've been offline for a while.

But as jacob said, if there isn't any particular reason to be concerned for their safety, we do understand that people sometimes just need time away/have other things going on in their life, so we don't check up with them [Smile]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you so much for your response, Onionpie! I really appreciate it!

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.