Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » Can YOU Help US?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can YOU Help US?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're reading this and you're a member of our community here on the site and boards who takes them time to help and support others and likes to do that, this is for you. [Smile]

We need some extra help around here. It used to be that board users, on the whole, helped each other a bit more than they have -- again, on the whole -- recently. As well, we're as short-staffed and as short on resources as ever, so managing the boards ourselves has become harder and harder.

Maybe you like to help out, and are great at it, but aren't up to or interested in making the commitment to be a volunteer. And maybe you want to help support Scarleteen, and this is one way you can.

What we're asking is if some of you will step up to basically be community helpers, here on the boards specifically. That'd just mean that when you're here and you see threads where you can give support or help someone find the information they need here on the site, and you have some time to do it, you do.

That'd also mean that users unfamiliar with our community could see you and know you're someone who knows what the what is around here and is a friendly, supportive and all-around awesome person who likes how things go here and wants to do what you can to keep them going smoothly.

Perhaps obviously, that'd also mean you've familiarized yourself with our site and board policies and guidelines so you can know you're leading by example.

Sound good? If so, leave a post here and we'll gear you up with a schnazzy new user title -- Peer Ambassador -- and our many, many thanks.

Cheers!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Heather,

I would really enjoy helping this site in any way possible; especially since it has been such a fantastic help to me over the past few months. However, I am also aware that I use the boards a lot for my own worries and queries; so would it still be possible to help out on a volunteer basis but still ask for help? If not, I will not at all be offended if this is something that might not work. But I would still love to be of assistance in any way possible if that is something that would be alright. [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
copper: I'd love to have you help like this, I think you've been great with others.

And it's okay to still be here for yourself: like I said, this is different than volunteering. [Smile]

Schnazzy title forthcoming, and feel free to ask any questions you've got! But really, this is just about doing what you already and and just identifying you as a fellow users other users know they can get hep from.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oohhh! I'd love to do this! Although I'll warn you that I won't be of much help for the next week and a half two weeks since I have exams and the stress of opening my own company, but after that I'll totally be helping out a bunch, I do try to do so as much as possible.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Hooray! Thanks so much!

(And this vs. volunteering means it doesn't matter when you'll be here and when you're not, just that when you are, you're someone who can help another user out.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

BrightStar171
Peer Ambassador
Member # 64549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrightStar171     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather, I'd love to help out, though I know I'm not the most frequent poster ever. [Smile]
Posts: 100 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralee
Peer Ambassador
Member # 43628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coralee         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'd also like to be a Peer Ambassador.
Posts: 143 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much! I'll definitely do my best! If I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask!

--------------------

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Great!

And you got it, BrightStar and coralee: thanks so much for pitching in as you can! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to help out whenever I can.
But I'm currently in the hospital and do not have access to internet access most of the time.

Still: I'd like to help if I get a chance to come up on here.
You don't have to give me a title, but I'd like to become a Peer Ambassador. [Smile]

Love,
Sans

[ 06-15-2012, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: SansNom ]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I hope you feel better, SansNom! (And I love your username!)

--------------------

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, copper86. [Smile]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heather:

(And this vs. volunteering means it doesn't matter when you'll be here and when you're not, just that when you are, you're someone who can help another user out.)

Oh, awesome! And thank you for bestowing this totally awesome title upon me! And thank you for all that Scarleteen has done for me, since coming on here I have gone from having many prejudices to having many less.

--------------------
~moonlight

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All hail the ambassadors!
Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Jacob said. I'm not at all surprised to see you folks here. You're always helpful and supportive with other users. And, for those of you worried that you still have a lot of needs for the boards yourselves, remember that sometimes the best way of learning things is by teaching or guiding other people to learn them.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thumb tack
Peer Ambassador
Member # 60502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thumb tack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

I've hesitated to reply to other users here because I wasn't sure if that would be okay, especially since I'm only here sporadically. Also, I'm over 25 and I deeply respect the concept of peer sex ed so I didnt want to somehow take away from the power of peer education by posting as an "over age" user [Smile] . That said, if help is needed around the boards, I'm more than happy to pitch in where I think I can be of help, if it's okay.

Posts: 126 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The current tagline for scarleteen includes "teens & twenties", so consider yourself a peer!

It'll be great to have you around contributing thumb tack [Smile]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

PS: Good job so far for everyone noticeably helping out other users!
Heather
Member # 3

Thanks SO much to all of you who have been willing to chip in so far! We appreciate you! [Big Grin]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar concern to thumb tack re. "peer" - not wanting to mislead, and also being a huge fan of and wanting to respect peer education. Also, I might not say much for a while; but still, maybe I'll have the odd simpler thing to say that's still useful. So, I'm very happy to offer, and Scarleteen accepting or not is all good with me. [Smile]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Yay! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

bookwormfairy
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bookwormfairy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather I can help

--------------------
~Lillian

Posts: 263 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

bookwormfairy, how great to see you, period! I hope college has been going well for you.

And thanks for the offer! We'd love your help.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to help if that's okay. [Smile]
Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Great, Roxie, thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

By the way, thanks so much to all of you who have been pitching in like this. I've been reading posts from some of you that have clearly been such a great help to other users.

Biggest of cheers to you!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Heather! Even though I've been on the forum for only a month, Scarleteen's website has really helped me learn a lot for over a year now. I'd like to be a peer ambassador, too. I might not be as available as I am now once I start college at the end of the month, but I’d still like to help around here when I could since people here have helped me so much. If I didn’t become one though, I’d understand and I wouldn't be offended. [Smile]

[ 07-11-2012, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy to be around when I can [Smile]
Gosh, feel a bit old and tired sometimes to be a peer though [Wink]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Erin, when I first came to Scarleteen you were the one who helped me the most (I think) and I want to thank you for that. You rock! (I actually thought for the first while that you were one of the people running the site!)

--------------------
~moonlight

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

quote:
Originally posted by moonlight bouncing off water:
Eryn, when I first came to Scarleteen you were the one who helped me the most (I think) and I want to thank you for that. You rock! (I actually thought for the first while that you were one of the people running the site!)

Seconded! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

*bump* because I think eryn's post got missed

[ 07-20-2012, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: moonlight bouncing off water ]

Heather
Member # 3

Thanks for the reminding! I'd been lax in checking this thread. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

And thanks for offering, MusicNerd and eryn: we'd love to have you on board for this. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Heather! I'll do my best and help as much as I can! [Smile]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.