Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » Wording on "The Buddy System"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wording on "The Buddy System"
iamabagel
Neophyte
Member # 95639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iamabagel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first line of "The Buddy System" article says:
"You already know that no method of contraception is 100% effective (save permanent sterilization)". There is a bit of confusion in the wording. Typical sterilization is not 100% effective, save hysterectomies and castration. Tubal litigation and vasectomy have a .5% and a .15% failure rate, respectively. From this data, the Implanon (.05% failure rate) is rated as more effective as a vasectomy and both IUDs as either as effective or slightly more effective as a tubal.

Posts: 18 | From: TN | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zoinks!

Thanks for noticing these errors, iamabagel, and letting us know about them. We'll hop right on those corrections.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iamabagel
Neophyte
Member # 95639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iamabagel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I didn't want to sound picky, but it's been bugging me for a while XD it might be worth adding a section on sterilization to the site (unless I missed an existing one). It is worth mentioning that there are reversible methods that are as-or-more effective as sterilization! I know too many people in my family trying to get their procedures reversed because now they want more kids and because they thought sterilization was the most effective option and could be reversed easily. One aunt of mine also thought tubals were 100% and was surprised with a pregnancy 2 years later! I would love to see these myths debunked on this site.

Keep up the wonderful site, by the way. I've shown it to so many friends they probably think I'm getting paid to promote it, lol!

[ 08-01-2012, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: iamabagel ]

Posts: 18 | From: TN | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, not at all! We are always completely understaffed and really appreciate the help.

I'd love for us to have a piece about that. We're unfortunately also horrible underfunded lately (worse than usual) as well as short-handed, so not sure when we'd get it rolled out, but I've absolutely put a pin in it.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iamabagel
Neophyte
Member # 95639

If there was a way I could volunteer to help out I would!

[ 08-01-2012, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: iamabagel ]

Heather
Member # 3

Pitching in with important things like this now and then is a great help all by itself. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear that you are more underfunded than usual. That would explain why it is so hard to find time to edit posts that can't be edited by the users themselves. I do intend to donate more when I get a higher income, but that is still a while off (I still need to finish university). Hopefully your site can still keep going, a lot of people benefit a lot from it, but of course it requires spending money to run, as almost all things do. [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Hey, iamabagel: I'm about to start a few days off, but wanted to take care of this before I bugged out entirely. So, zipped that parenthetical bit in that sentence, and thanks again.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

iamabagel
Neophyte
Member # 95639

Thanks for changing it! I actually ran across another one in the Birth Control Bingo: NO Pregnancy Risks:

"For those who wish to be sexually active, including activities which pose a risk of pregnancy and want NO risk of pregnancy, male or female sterilization (vasectomy or tubal ligation) are also options."

iamabagel
Neophyte
Member # 95639

Sorry I keep popping up here! This page has outdated IUD info

http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control_bingo_an_implant_the_shot_or_an_iud

"AND
I have been pregnant before, whether or not I have had a child or terminated, or am not in my early teens" That bit can be deleted.

[ 08-04-2012, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: iamabagel ]

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is really helpful. Thank you.

We have amassed a large amount of information over the years and appreciate careful readers such as yourself. [Smile]

We'll make these other changes ASAP.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks iamabagel! Enjoy some of your favourite food as a reward (which probably doesn't include bagels or you would be a bagel cannibal [Wink] ).
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iamabagel
Neophyte
Member # 95639

I'll keep my eyes peeled then!

By the way... I do enjoy bagels! > : )

[ 08-05-2012, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: iamabagel ]

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

That means you are a bagel cannibal! [Wink] Do you talk to the bagels before you eat them? [Wink]

[ 08-06-2012, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Heather
Member # 3

Sorted! Thanks again iamabagel (who always makes me want a bagel)!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.