Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » New to Scarleteen?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to Scarleteen?
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the boards! Here's a roadmap to help you understand what's going on:

Scarleteen Main Page

Links to main sections, complete with informative articles, helpful advice, and useful resources:

Skin Deep
SexYOUality
Take Two
Gaydar
Infection Section
Pink Slip
Boyfriend
Repro Depot
Sexual Politics
Crisis Hotline
In Your Own Words
Read Up!
Sexpert Advice

Main Site Search
User Guidelines & Privacy Policy
Board Etiquette
Board Search Function

Most forums have a FAQ:

Sex Basics and Sexual Health
Body and Soul
Relationships
Support Groups
Sexual Ethics and Politics
General Health and Nutrition
Pregnancy and Parenting
Orientation and Identity
GLBT Relationships
Safer Sex and Birth Control
Sexual Health and Medicine
Parents, Adults and Teens
Site Help and Service

In addition to FAQs, many forums have important topics stickied at the top of the page. Those are the threads with the exclamation point next to the name. Please read through those stickies -- there's a ton of great information there.

Enjoy.  -

[ 06-24-2007, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: ookuotoe ]

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
From the Guidelines:
The message boards are intended as support for the primary site, located at: http://www.scarleteen.com. All users are expected to review the site itself, and search it or the boards for answers to questions first before posting.

Scarleteen has a myriad of information both on the main site and here at the boards. Doing a search before starting a new thread may allow you to find what you're looking for without waiting for someone to answer you or point you in right direction. If you've done a search, both on the main pages and the boards, and still can't find what you're looking for feel free to post and we'll happily do our best to help you out. With that I give you:

A Quick Search Primer

The search button at the top of each page allows you search the main page, not the boards. That's usually the best place to start.

However when you do need to search previous threads make sure you're searching the boards. You can do that by:

1. Clicking the word search at the top left of the forum main page - near the profile, preferences, etc. links. This will set it up so you are searching all the forums.

2. Entering a forum and clicking the search link near the "Post New Topic" button. This will allow you to search that specific forum - much faster than searching all the forums.

3. You can also enter a specific thread and use the search link near the "Post Reply" button. This has the same effect as option B.

Once you arrive at the search page it's pretty flexible. You can change which forum you want to search with one of the drop-down menus. You can also choose to search in the message or by subject only. Narrowing it down by date is another option. Finally, you can search by specific user names.

Happy hunting.

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 02-28-2003).]

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

A quick guide to all those icons:

To the left of the body of each post is the author's name. Clicking on it will take you to that person's profile. Below the name is a title. Moderators are referred to as a Scarleteen Volunteer, users with more than 40 posts are Activists, and anyone with under 40 posts is a Neophyte. Below the title you have a member number; all that tells you is the order in which we registered. The lower the number, the longer someone's been around.

At the top of each post is a bar with the icon of your choice, the date and time the post was made, and four little icons. The first icon is a face with a question mark. Clicking it will allow you to see profile for that user.
The second icon is two people next to an envelope. That icon allows you to send private messages to moderators. It is not possible to send PMs to anyone but the moderators for safety reasons. The third icon is a piece of paper and pencil. This is the edit icon. It will take you back to your post and allow you to make changes to it. You may not delete your own posts, only the forum moderators (listed at the top of the forum's main page. For example, Heather, DarkChild717, nixieGurl and I moderate Site Help and Service.) may do that. The fourth and last icon is set of quotation marks. If you want your reply to include a quote from a previous post in the thread you are replying to click this icon in the post you want to quote. Clicking it will put a complete copy of that post into your reply. You should delete the irrelevant parts, keeping only what you are referring to.

At the bottom of each post is the number of posts that user has made, his or her location, how long s/he's been here and two more I'd like to describe in a little more detail.
1. IP: Logged. That identifies your computer and location to us. Only moderators have access to your IP number and we use those if we're wondering if someone is posting with two different handles or under other circumstances when something just isn't adding up.
2. Report Post. Clicking that will allow you to send an email to all the moderators of that forum at once. It will direct us to the specific post so we can review it in light of your concerns.

I think that covers the basics but please ask questions if I left anything out.

[ 06-24-2007, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: ookuotoe ]

-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

quote:
Originally posted by ThisGuy:
ThIs Is AnNoYiNg!!!!!!
8u+ +H1z 1Z R3311Y r3311y @nN0y1nG!!!!!!!!

That about sums it up.

However, to further explain, netspeak is very hard to read and understand in and of itself. When you use it in a venue such as these message boards where many of our users don't speak English as their primary language things get terribly confusing.

In fact, the Guidelines have something to say about this:

quote:
From the Guidelines
We ask that you post with care to grammar and punctuation, so that it is easiest for everyone to understand you, and easiest for users to search for subjects.

So, a few tips to make things easier to read:

• DoN'T capITAliZe liKe THiS
  • abbreviations such as some1, newayz, B4, etc. can cause confusion -- how are we to know if bf means best friend or boyfriend?
  • do not use symbols to replace letters (see first quote)
  • look up misspelled words
  • use paragraph breaks (an example of those can be found between the quote from the Guidelines and this list)
  • TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING and is pretty hard on the eyes

All of this will make posts easier to read and understand, thus easier for people to respond to. Just some basic communication skills.

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 07-21-2003).]

-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Where does my post belong?

We have different forums to help keep everything organized. Not only does posting in the correct forum help everyone find everything but it just allows things to be answered a little more accurately. For example a question about age differences in Relationships will be answered very differently than a question about age in Sexual Ethics and Politics.

There are a few ways to decide which forum your post belongs in:
  • Under the name of each forum is a brief description of that forum. So is that age difference causing a problem in your relationship (appropriate for Relationships) or would you like to discuss the validity of age of consent laws (better suited for Sexual Ethics and Politics)?
  • Look at some of the other threads in the forums. Seeing what's where will help you familiarize yourself with how things work.
  • Go through the forum FAQs -- they're even likely to have a thread similar to what you have in mind.
Something else to consider, who do you want to respond? We ask that only Scarleteen Volunteers and Sexperts respond to posts made in Ask Scarleteen and Emergencies and Crises. (Obviously the person who started the thread may reply as well.) If you want the perspectives of many people it's best to post in a different forum where everyone may give input.

The Emergencies and Crisis forum is for just that -- dire situations only. Not sure what qualifies as a dire situation? We consider all of the below to be emergencies:
  • a person may have a real unwanted pregnancy or STD risk
  • a person's life may be in imminent danger (suicide threat, or threat from an abusive lover, parent, relative, etc.)
  • a person needs help reporting and/or coping with a sexual assault
  • a person needs help reporting and/or coping with physical, sexual or emotional abuse
  • a person may have committed a crime either knowingly or unknowingly and needs legal help.

Hope this helps.  -

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 07-21-2003).]

[ 06-24-2007, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: ookuotoe ]

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a member of the Dirtylist (Underworld fans' mailing list ) and one of their big rules that holds true for a place like ST is this: Lurk.

Spend a day or two lurking on the boards. read the posts. read the articles. This will help you get the hang of our general tone on the boards. You will get an idea of what is acceptable here and what is not acceptable here (in case you didn't get it the first time from the user agreement).

Chances are, after you have read the site, the question you originally had would probably have gotten an answer. If your question was not answered by the information provided by this site, then by all means, post. And we will do our best to answer. Play nice

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for detailed info on how to use UBB Code, please click the following link http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=ubb_code_page

[ 06-24-2007, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: ookuotoe ]

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While we're big on personal security here at ST, it is helpful if users include their general location in their profile. Do NOT give your full address. For users within the USA and Canada, it's helpful to include your state/province. Users in other countries can probably get by with just their country (China, Mexico, Great Britain, etc.).

Because different laws and different resources apply to different places, it helps us help YOU if we know where you are so we can give you more accurate info.

------------------
It ain't the holidays till I see a Salad Shooter commercial.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

eVoLuTioN
Neophyte
Member # 16329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eVoLuTioN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm, when i post a message myself it comes up with the icon for "new message".
Is it just me or is this not supposed to happen? Other forums i use do not register a message i post myself as a new msg, and also, when i have read someone elses new message, it still has the icon, after i have read it. What the?

Posts: 30 | From: United States of America | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a message has just been posted by anyone, it's a new message (this is just how the boards do stuff, it's not up to us). I'm guessing the other problem is because of your cookies settings, not these boards.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

We can't rewind, we've gone too far

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A *BUMP*, and a note on those while we're at it. It's okay for mods to bump topics that are used for general reference (like this one, forum FAQ's, an old topic that has relevance to a currently active one, that sort of thing), but it's not okay to bump your own topic, because that leads to unnecessary posts, and general forum clutter. We'll get to every question as soon as we can, but there are only so many people available at any time. We're not ignoring you, we're probably just at work or at the grocery store or otherwise busy!

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

Everything's been sold to others' revolutions

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, newbies! This, as well as the Board Etiquette thread are great reads if you're feeling a bit put-off or confused by the way things work here.

If in doubt, lurk moar, use the search function, and read over threads discussing policies and etiquette such as these. Users do best when they take a little while to scope things out and get a feel for things before posting on a regular basis, be it asking questions or trying to help out.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grizzly_boy
Activist
Member # 44932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grizzly_boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, so just to be clear, all forums except "Ask Scarleteen" are places where you can post questions and anyone is allowed to answer, right?

--------------------
Grizzly

Wondering about my handle? I have hairy legs. Last year, my "friends" used "Grizzly" to tease me. now I just use it as nickname.

Posts: 47 | From: Oakland | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey grizzly_boy,

Yes, users are welcome to post in all public areas except for "Ask Scarleteen" AND "Emergencies and Crises." When in doubt, such as if you have a thread-specific question, please do ask here or through the "Contact Us" button at the top of the page.

It's good having you here and we look forward to more of your posts! [Smile]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega_kitten_98002
Neophyte
Member # 50705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omega_kitten_98002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiiii, I just joined yesterday...so...hey everyone.
I'm looking. Forward to making new friends and such

Posts: 3 | From: New York | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hailmaiden
Neophyte
Member # 63108

Icon 9 posted      Profile for hailmaiden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello. I'm new to Scarleteen and I'm having a bit of trouble because I wanted to view an article in the Main Page but to see it I need to provide my username and my password but when I type both my username and password( the one I used right now to login to the forum) it tells me wrong password or username and when I try going to the mainpage already logged in from the forum.. it's like I didn't even login in the first. I just wanted to know if there is a very obvious detail I am missing here. Help please [Smile]
Posts: 4 | From: Central America | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That shouldn't be happening....what article is it that you're trying to view?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hailmaiden
Neophyte
Member # 63108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hailmaiden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a pregnancy risk assessment article... Am I supposed to be able to login from the main page with my username and password from the boards? Is the account from the main page different from the account I use to sign into the message boards?
Posts: 4 | From: Central America | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hailmaiden
Neophyte
Member # 63108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hailmaiden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. Nevermind. I just read thoroughly. I missed that paragraph. Thank you very much [Razz]
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What that likely was was an older article no longer published on the site. Since we've been around 13 years, and information about and approaches to sexual health and sexuality change so much, sometimes we retire older articles and replace them with new ones if some edits just won't fix what's outdated.

We don't have ANY content on the main site which is only available to registered users. All the content that is published is available to all users. But if and when you want to use the services available to only registered users on the main site (namely, inputting a Sexpert Advice question), then you will need a main site account, which you can set up through any internal page (anything but the front page) on the main site.

Our current pregnancy risk assessment piece is here: Pregnancy Scared?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.