Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » Question for Heather..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for Heather..
wallflower16
Neophyte
Member # 47544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wallflower16         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Heather! [Smile]
I'm going to be entering college soon, and so naturally I've been thinking of things that I might want to do with my life.
I was curious as to how you came to do what it is you do. It is something that I am quite interested in. What did you have to do (in regards to college classes or work or whatever) to get to where you are now?
I'm also curious as to how you like living in Seattle. That's where I want to go to college! Are there a lot of opportunities in your field of work there?
Thank you!

Posts: 11 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, there. [Smile]

People come into sex education via a lot of different tracks, and mine was through education and alternative education, by way of humanities, the arts and sociology. I went to an arts high school where I worked on my writing (and also music, though that wasn't relevant to what I do now). In college, those were the subjects I studied, and focused around sexuality within them. If there had been programs specifically to study sexuality in colleges then, I would have been all over them! Alas, there were not, but that is one option for people now, so it's certainly something you can look into!

I started teaching in general in college also, and was an early childhood educator for years after that, then took two years of training in the Montessori method -- feeling that educational philosophy was the best fit for me -- via a training center. I stopped teaching in those classrooms around 1999 to do the kind of work I do now full-time. In the interim, I read, read, read pretty much everything I could get my hands on about sexuality and still do a lot of self-education. I worked for an abortion/women's health clinic for about two years and got some extra training there, too. That's just a nutshell, but on the whole, it's been a collage of different things, really.

Seattle: I confess, it's not my favorite city, but I grew up in Chicago, which is such a great city, it's hard for others to compare. However, I really like Washington state (and recently have moved rurally to enjoy it). One great thing about WA is that when it comes to reproductive rights, you'd have a hard time finding a better state. That tends to inform a lot of things around sexual health and help services here, so it is a good place to be to do work in and around sexual health. Sex ed, too, but I'd say that's more secondary. Employment rates are also generally good here, certainly better than in many other states.

Can I ask what college you're looking at? The U, Evergreen....?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wallflower16
Neophyte
Member # 47544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wallflower16         Edit/Delete Post 
UW, Seattle U, and Western Washington. I looked into Evergreen, and it was a beautiful school, but just a bit too alternative for me [Smile]
Posts: 11 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The three schools you're considering are all good schools! Have you talked with them yet about what you want to study and checked out if they have the course of study you're looking for?

Of course, that'll depend on what that is. Like I said, there are many tracks into this kind of work: general education, medical school, psychology, sociology, anthro..it really depends on what kind of work you want to do and what doorway in is where you feel your heart, mind and skills are most.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mosky3
Neophyte
Member # 53251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosky3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brand new to Scarlet. Registered and I have a question for Heather but can't figure out how to get it to her. Will some nice person e-mail me on how to do it. Thanks...Mosky3
Posts: 3 | From: Southeastern Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I see pretty much every post left on the boards, so anywhere you leave a post, I'll likely see it.

If users feel they specifically want to talk to me (or any staff member) all they need to do is ask! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.