Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » Confusing/inconsistent wording of article.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Confusing/inconsistent wording of article.
Neuro
Neophyte
Member # 95613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neuro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I was just looking over the 'Pregnancy Scared?' (http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/whats_the_risk_easy_pregnancy_risk_assessments) article today. It's probably one of the more regularly accessed articles on the site.

I know that it was overhauled last year in order to be easier to use. However, the wording of certain parts seem to be confusing and/or inconsistent.

Take the following paragraph for example:

quote:
Were you only kissing, having oral sex, manual sex and/or dry sex, where everyone had clothes on and no one ejaculated on or very near anyone else's vulva? These kinds of sex do NOT present any pregnancy risks, though some can present risks of STIs.
How is it possible to for two or more people to have manual sex or oral sex yet at the same time remain completely clothed? Maybe I lack imagination. :-)

See also the following section:

quote:
There was not direct genital-to-genital sex or contact, but someone with a penis DID ejaculate inside a vagina or directly on or very near a vulva (like on or around the anus).

If any or all of those things describe the situation you're worried about, there probably WAS a substantial risk of pregnancy.

How is it possible to ejaculate inside a vagina without direct genital-to-genital contact? If a condom was used properly, this would be a low pregnancy risk scenario, and a not a "substantial risk of pregnancy" as stated in the last paragraph.

I don't mean to be picky, but this is an important article, and many individuals will be reading it in a potentially stressed state. I think it's important that it's clear and informative and free from inconsistency.

Keep up the good work!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Neuro:
quote:
There was not direct genital-to-genital sex or contact, but someone with a penis DID ejaculate inside a vagina or directly on or very near a vulva (like on or around the anus).

If any or all of those things describe the situation you're worried about, there probably WAS a substantial risk of pregnancy.

How is it possible to ejaculate inside a vagina without direct genital-to-genital contact? If a condom was used properly, this would be a low pregnancy risk scenario, and a not a "substantial risk of pregnancy" as stated in the last paragraph.

I don't mean to be picky, but this is an important article, and many individuals will be reading it in a potentially stressed state. I think it's important that it's clear and informative and free from inconsistency.

Keep up the good work!

I believe this is addressing situations like, for example, partners masturbating together where a male-bodied individual would ejaculate directly on the genitals of a female-bodied individual. If the vulva were being held open/separated at the time (for instance), then ejaculation would essentially be on or in the vulva and vagina. Thus this could occur without direct genital contact.

[ 04-20-2012, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neuro
Neophyte
Member # 95613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neuro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true actually - I hadn't considered that possibility!

However, the mystery of oral sex while completely clothed remains to be solved. [Big Grin]

But even then, is it even relevant - surely whether clothing was worn or not is far less important than whether and where ejaculation occurred? I think the following scenario would be functionally equivalent AND apply to a much larger number of cases:

Were you only kissing, having oral sex, manual sex and/or dry sex, where no one ejaculated on or very near anyone else's vulva? These kinds of sex do NOT present any pregnancy risks, though some can present risks of STIs.

Or does this wording omit something important?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neuro: really appreciate you taking this time, and I agree, those two passages could be made more clear, and the second is confusing. I'll tend to that today, and thanks again! [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.