Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » Sorry to be MIA.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sorry to be MIA.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a note to everyone: sorry that I wasn't here at all yesterday.

We got a huge influx of traffic from the folks over at PostSecret (welcome PostSecret peeps) which choked the life out of our server, to the point that while I could tell from the logs plenty of others were getting in, just having things be slow, I couldn't get in at all myself until an hour ago.

The death of Dr. George Tiller yesterday hit me hard, so it was probably for the best. After hours of crying, the calls started coming in from other workers at the clinic I work at, too. I then started to get organized per a piece on this for the Guardian and in terms of pro-activity, which will have me busy today until the afternoon, when I will be back here, albeit briefly, because I will be leaving for a vigil a bit before 5 my time.

Again, sorry for the lapse.

[ 06-01-2009, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NonStraightAnswers
Activist
Member # 41629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonStraightAnswers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this is appropriate to post here...If not please feel free to move or delete it. The Feminist Majority Foundation has a way for people to send messages of condolence to the friends and family of Dr. Tiller.
Posts: 63 | From: DC, MA, IL, IS - changes every couple years | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is incredibly appropriate: thanks for linking it here.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I created a thread in the politics section for people to talk about/parse the tragedy as well; I hope that's okay!

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

It's totally okay, I just probably won't say much myself just yet.

Just FYI, the term "late-term" abortion is pretty problematic, because it's very ambiguous. But it usually means after 21 weeks. That given, there has been a lot of poor reporting about access to abortions after week 21, and more than 3 physicians (by a serious long shot) provide terminations after that time. Tiller was one of three working who provided in weeks 26-28.

I correct that simply because it's important for women who want or need access to these services not to think they can't get them.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Heather, I'll go make that edit.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.