Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » ST-related project feedback

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ST-related project feedback
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks! Here's the place to leave notes and ask for feedback on stuff you're doing to either get the word out about ST or to help us out. For example, if you're writing an in-your-own-words piece and want to pitch an idea before writing, or helping us by making a webpage elsewhere with approval from Heather.

So, have at it, and thanks for being involved! :)

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Bumped primarily for TheFlash, whose table of contraceptive effectiveness page has the potential to rock ridiculously righteous rump. <3 for geeks.)
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheFlash
Activist
Member # 33089

Icon 5 posted      Profile for TheFlash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your info page on choosing Contraceptives

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/margaret_sangers_disneyland_choosing_contraceptives

says that the "Sponge" has a failure rate of 20% for perfect use and 32% for typical use. It also says that this method has spermicide. So given this is true, then why would spermicide alone have 8% and 26% listed which is a lower failure rate? Why have the "Sponge" part of it if it is just making it more likely to get pregnant?

Thanks.

Posts: 98 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flash, I'm going to try and find a little time tomorrow to get you the three main sources of effectiveness statistics I use when addressing BC efficiacy. One is a very large book, so that won't work, but I think I can scan in what you need (though if you have my book, that might be easiest).

Per the stats for the Sponge, I'll have to double check those and the spermicide stats for you, too. If those are still correct, it may be an issue about the sponge not foaming properly (I hate to diss any method, since everyone has different things that work for them, but I remember those sponges when they first came out, and yeeps, you couldn't pay me to use them again: I struggled in the book not to say that they tended to make vaginas look like rabid dogs foaming at the mouth [Razz] ) sometimes, or with it being put in too early, or used after being in too long...

nevertheless, I'll check as soon as I can and get back to you.

Again, thanks so much for working on this!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheFlash
Activist
Member # 33089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheFlash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the code for the webpage you will see 4 blocks of data. I pasted them below, but the formatting is easier to read for youself by either looking at the source and then press Alt-v, c, in IE7.

or you can cut and paste the text below into notepad. You need to see it without word wrapping for it to make sense.

You'll see a list of the method codes, the perfect percent, the typical percent, and a grid of 0's and 1's that say if the combination is good=1 or bad=0. When formatted in notepad without wrapping. Pick from menu: Format | Word Wrap. They should all line up in a nice neat table. The combo table works like a mileage chart you would see on a road map. The 1/0's line up with the method codes both horizontally and vertically.

For example:

rows come in same order as columns

A, B, C
-------
0 <- A is first row
1, 0 <- B is second row
0, 1, 0 <- C is third row...

This example table says only methods A+B and B+C can be used together because that's where the 1's are in the table. All other values are 0, so they are bad combos.

All I can really do at this point is edit the numbers or change the 1/0 combo values. If the data doesn't come with this info, it won't work with what I have written. I might be able to change what I wrote, but I'm in enough trouble with my family for ignoring chores this weekend. If they find out I'm spending time on this and not homework or chores, I think I would be in serious trouble.

I'll say this again, I'm really not very good with website stuff and you must have people that can do that part? I know nothing about BC, I know you know that part. I'm just good at math. So please don't ask me to read a bunch of stuff about BC. It's not that I don't want to help, it's just that I won't get it and I don't need trouble at home.

-

Cut and paste this text below into notepad without word wrap to see the tables...

var method = ["Abs", "MCo", "FCo", "Dia", "Spg", "Pil", "Rng", "Ptc", "Lun", "DeP", "IUD", "Emg", "Spm", "WDr", "Per"];
var perfect = [100.0, 98.0, 95.0, 91.0, 80.0, 99.0, 99.0, 99.0, 99.0, 99.0, 99.0, 90.0, 92.0, 96.0, 98.0];
var typical = [ 40.0, 85.0, 79.0, 80.0, 68.0, 92.0, 98.0, 98.0, 99.0, 99.0, 99.0, 75.0, 74.0, 72.0, 75.0];
var combo =
[
[ 0 ],
[ 1, 0 ],
[ 1, 0, 0 ],
[ 1, 1, 1, 0 ],
[ 1, 1, 1, 0, 0 ],
[ 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0 ],
[ 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0 ],
[ 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0 ],
[ 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0 ],
[ 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 ],
[ 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0 ],
[ 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0 ],
[ 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0 ],
[ 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0 ],
[ 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0]
];

Posts: 98 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheFlash
Activist
Member # 33089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheFlash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, looks like your postings removed all the formatting. Anyway, you get the idea I think. Everything is in the same order. It would line up nicely if the spaces weren't removed.

--------------------
Justice League Member

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.