Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » HIV info on your site

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HIV info on your site
SarahBear555
Neophyte
Member # 34223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SarahBear555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering why you have given out information that says HIV can be passed through saliva? I have read repeatedly that there have been NO cases of HIV transmitted through saliva and cannot find any sources to back up your claim.

I'd really like your sources, for my own peace of mind.

Thank you.

Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Q&A like this one might be helpful to you: http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Infections/Archive/BasicInformation/Q4733.html

You might find this piece additionally helpful: http://www.thebody.com/content/art40621.html

So, while certainly, it's sage to consider that transmission via saliva should by no means be considered a primary source of transmission, or even a likely one -- and that when we're talking about HIV and saliva, we're also talking about genital mucous membrane, which is why we don't talk about HIV risks with kissing -- it also isn't sage to rule it out 100%.

However, I've edited our STI file on HIV to make that more clear, since obviously, it's caused you confusion. [Smile]

[ 06-07-2007, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SarahBear555
Neophyte
Member # 34223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SarahBear555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! [Smile]
Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, thank you: it's always really helpful when folks let us know what it's clear, or just check in on an issue, especially given how often sexual health and sexuality information changes. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I searched through the articles but couldn't find the answer to this one. I've been wondering about it for a long time but I always end up finding conflicting sources.
How long can HIV remain alive outside of the body? I've heard 15 minutes from some, and up to 2 days from others. What's the answer, if any?

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's 20 minutes or as soon as whatever bodily fluid it's in dries.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.