Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » To DarlingBri:

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To DarlingBri:
Cute Katie
Activist
Member # 6602

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cute Katie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, this is totally off topic in this, well, topic, but since you did this in this topic, I felt the need to post this in this topic. (Sorry if that was confusing)

I'm wondering why you edited my AIM name out of my signature. I've had it on there for at least a week now, and have made at least 5-10 posts with it on there, but to my knowledge, you are the first to edit it out. I know we are not supposed to make our email addresses public, but I personally don't think I'm posing a threat to myself by putting my AIM name in my signature. I think I should have the choice to do this, because it's my name, and my problem if someone decides to harass me on it.

The reason I have it in my signature is so people who have AIM can contact me privately and personally if need be.

I would just like to know your reasoning. If you find my AIM name on my signature to be a true problem, then I will remove it. Please let me know, thank you.

------------------
-~-Katie-~-

AIM: Amethyst95

[This message has been edited by Cute Katie (edited 03-20-2002).]

Posts: 59 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Katie.

It's been our policy at Scarleteen to remove any personal identifiers like e-mail ICQ or AIM from signatures or posts for the protection of our users, and to protect us in terms of liability, which would be why a volunteer edited it out.

Things like AIM and ICQ make it VERY easy to find a users email. I just used a search engine and your handle and in a few clicks, I've got some of your personal infol from another forum you posted that handle on, for example.

We are in the middle of evaluating our policy on this to see what flexibilty we might have and feel comfortable having. But until such time as we mmake a new policy, we ask that users do not post personal identifiers for their own safety.

Thanks.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving to site help and service.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cute Katie
Activist
Member # 6602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cute Katie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I had a really good reply written, I tried to post, and it wouldn't let me because the thread was closed while I was writing it. I will try to rewrite it here, as my browser wouldn't send me back to where I tried writing it. Watch this, it will happen again. grr

Thank you for the info, Miz Scarlet. That sounds reasonable and understandable, so I will remove my AIM name from my signature. Thank you for explaining the reasoning behind it, as DarlingBri edited it out but didn't explain why. I assumed correctly as to why my name was edited out, but I just wanted to make sure. It frustrates me when people do things without explanation, especially when it involves me.

Btw, I think this site is really informative and a great resource for teens!

Posts: 59 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Katie, I'm sorry your first reply was lost -- we don't have any way to know if someone's replying to a post when we move/close topics, so we just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best.

And thank you for understanding about the change in policy.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cute Katie
Activist
Member # 6602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cute Katie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay, I understand. I didn't mean to come off as a bitch, I'm sorry.

Thanks for moving it to the right place though! I had never been to this part of the forum yet.

Do you like my new signature? hehe

------------------
-~-Katie-~-

"True love is like ghosts, which everybody talks about and few have seen." ~La Rochefoucauld

DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blergh. Cross post. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by DarlingBri (edited 03-21-2002).]

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.