Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » Health Class

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Health Class
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 14 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Early this week I showed the health teacher here at school some articles from the main site. Today he requested that I print them off so he could show our principal to get approval to use them in class. My question is what's the policy on this? How would he get permission to do this?

Thanks.

------------------
There is a time and a place for everything.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go on ahead and print them and take them to the principal. if the principal is cool with that, then just have your teacher drop me an email with the specifics on how it's going to be used, and how widely distributed and I'll give the OK.

(As a general rule, I am always happy to let ST materials be used in schools, and a couple already do, so long as all handpouts and reprints contain the original copyright info on them, and so long as the URL is visible on each sheet.)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 7 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will do. Hopefully one of us will get back to you soon. Thanks Miz Scarlet.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is vaguely related, so I'll stick it here.

Something I was thinking of doing, in addition to the flyering, was printing off articles, or quick facts about pregnancy/std risks, and sticking them up in the bathrooms. Just as a bit of reading material whilst you're on the loo. That way, even if people can't/won't come here, they at least get to read some of the articles, and get some of the essential facts.

Does that sound like a good idea or not? My college is very, very liberal and probably wouldn't have a problem with it, especially if it's in student only bathrooms. But I don't want to scare the hell out of people by telling them the 101 things they could have if they haven't got the back-up of the rest of the site, and I don't want to do anything that would get the site into trouble.

Anyway, please tell me what you think on whether I should or shouldn't do it.

[This message has been edited by BJadeT (edited 01-11-2002).]

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the long and the short of my answer there, BJade, is that you CAN take it with you.

In other words, if you learned things here, I think that's just ducky. And I think getting proactive by making your own flyers like that really rocks. But you know what? because you learned it here, you don't have to make it about Scarleteen. You cartianly can put it as a good resource, or cite your stats from here, but hey -- give yourself some credit! Why not just do it on your own?

See what I mean? Spread the (g)love, babe.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel a long weekend with the desktop publisher coming on....
Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tell everyone about scarleteen constantly. I am taking health next semester, and you bet that I am going to tell her about scarleteen. No doubt about it.

My friends are always like, ask Erica, the Sexual Ed Advocate! I feel special...

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

[This message has been edited by glitter695 (edited 01-11-2002).]

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here

In our little groupie of friends, there's a bunch of soon to be medical professionals. About three paramedics, a pathologist/gynecologist/not sure, and a nurse-midwife (that would be me). Our conversations at the lunch table usually revolve around some sort of sex. And w/ each person having different interests, we all know who to go to if we have questions. I get most of the sex ones ... I should, if i'm going to make it my 'business'

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I try

See what you've started here, Miz S? You oughta be proud

------------------
"It's impossible to satisfy everyone, and I suggest we all stop trying." -Jennifer Aniston

greenjay blog

Don't Mess With Texas

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I very much am....

...of every single one of you.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.