Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » FAQ forum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FAQ forum
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read a thread yesterday about someone who posted a thread because her thread went unanswered. I can sympathize with that, but how are new people supposed to know that their question isn't getting answered because it was talked about to death?

I've seen on other boards that they have a "FAQ" forum where all new threads that have been talked into and beyond the ground are moved. It might help those to not feel like any of us here are ignoring them.

It's just a suggestion. I wouldn't think about using the "search" feature to find out if any of my questions have ever been answered before.....

------------------
"It beats me how Freud could say 'What do women want?' as if we all must want the same things." --Katharine Whitehorn, English journalist

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a FAQ link at the top of the page, entitled "FAQ". Fittingly between the "search" and "help" links.

As for the search function, I don't know about you but I usually go through the website, read a few things before I post. Sometimes all it takes is a simple scroll down the page to get your question answered. Besides, according to the guidelines, you should do a search.

quote:
Lastly, these boards exist to offer real-time support for the existing material published at scarleteen.com, not to replace that information. Before posting, we encourage you to educate and inform yourself with information from the site itself, which you can access at http://www.scarleteen.com or you may search the site at http://www.scarleteen.com/search.html[/quote]

------------------
SlowCookie
Scarleteen Advocate

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, it's kind of like asking a librarian to answer a question for you when you';re in the library and can look for yourself first.

You take a look in the section you want to post in, or in the AAS archive. You look in the site first, as the guidelines every user agrees to asks them to do.

We don't expect anyone to be psychic, but it really is important to remember that one itty bitty person (me, who is under the poverty level) pays for ALL use of this site and the boards, and it in obscenely expensive, and my resources are seriously limited. Just today, we got errors telling us our boards are running out of space, and I cannot afford to pay for any more.

So, in short, conscientious use of the boards and our resources assures us the boards will stay. if those resources are squandered, they may not be able to.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should also add that that unanswered thread was NOT in Ask a Sexpert. It was in the general boards, and we have no control over what threads users are interested in replying to, and I only have 24 hours in a day, and cannot make sure to put an answer in every single thread that gets posted.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mz Scarlet, you should be happy that there are only 24 hours in a day because knowing you you would just spend the extra hours working your poor bum off!

Maybe I'm just a weirdo but I always snooped around and posted replies at new boards to get a feel of the area. Then again, I actually read the guidelines I agree to too, so maybe I just have too much free time

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
really? I asked Gumdrop Girl about it last night and she didn't say anything about a FAQ section already set up. She said that you guys were still thinking about it....
Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yuup ... In nice big bold letters to the top of your screen. I think what she must've meant was that we were thinking of changing/adding to them ... ?? I can't speak for her tho.

I agree w/ you Pixie

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.