Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Gender confused me.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gender confused me.
TheFootman...
Neophyte
Member # 108359

Icon 8 posted      Profile for TheFootman...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all.
Wouldn't mind a bit of help. Im a 20 y/o straight female in a very happy relationship with a guy. However, I'm not sure if I want to be a girl. I don't feel right as a girl. I guess, thinking back, I never have done. I'm always one of the boys and it feels right. Is something wrong with me. What do I do? Do I just suck it up and carry on?
I only ask now because I am old enough to realise the problem to the extent I have.

Your thoughts would be great.

--------------------
I'm me ok.

Posts: 6 | From: under the stars | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the boards. [Smile]

Really, there's nothing we consider wrong OR right about how any of us feels about our gender, just like, say, people's tastes in food. There's just however we feel, and however we feel is how we feel.

So, you're saying you don't feel right as a girl, and feel like you're always one of the boys. Are you saying that you feel like identifying your gender as a boy feels right, or right-er, then?

Mind, those aren't the only two choices with gender we can make, or ways we can experience gender, but figured I'd start with what you wrote and take things from there.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheFootman...
Neophyte
Member # 108359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheFootman...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well yeah, you're right. That's what I mean. I've done it. Ive been out as a guy and I felt more confident in myself (although, sometimes I'll be okay with being a girl.) It sounds nuts.

--------------------
I'm me ok.

Posts: 6 | From: under the stars | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I certainly don't think so. We know that there are likely millions of different gender identities and around 6 billion different ways of experiencing gender, given how different we all are.

So, if you feel more at home with a masculine gender identity all that sounds like to me is that you're a person who feels more at home in a masculine gender identity.

Is that something you feel like you'd like to transition more into, rather than continuing to identify as a girl?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheFootman...
Neophyte
Member # 108359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheFootman...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I'm honest. As I said im in a very happy straight relationship. I wouldn't want to ruin that. I'm scared what my family would think to. Im the only girl born into my family for 40 years (every other female is from marriage) so im viewed as special for that...
Thanks for getting back to me by the way.

--------------------
I'm me ok.

Heather
Member # 3

So, maybe this is just something to start thinking about and feeling out over time?

This piece might help get you started: Genderpalooza! A Sex & Gender Primer

Kate Bornstein's My Gender Workbook is also awfully handy, and many people also seem to be finding Sam Killerman's Genderbread Person useful in this regard, too: http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012/03/the-genderbread-person-v2-0/

P.S. Sexual orientation is really only a term meant to be used for (and which was designed to be used for) individuals, not so much for relationships. So, a relationship can't really have orientation, even if the people in it are all the same one. But when they're not, you can see how broken that gets: is the relationship a bisexual and a gay person are in, for example, a gay relationship or a bisexual one? See what I mean?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

TheFootman...
Neophyte
Member # 108359

Yes thank you. I'll have a look at those! Do you think I should tell him then.. I mean he's probably already noticed but that's not the point.

--------------------
I'm me ok.

Heather
Member # 3

I think that's really up to you: do you want to talk with your boyfriend about these feelings yet or not?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

TheFootman...
Neophyte
Member # 108359

I I don't know. .. hes a pretty supportive person so probably would support me and go along with it (as long as I didn't go full on which I wouldn't do) but, at the same time, it could go very wrong.

--------------------
I'm me ok.

Heather
Member # 3

Do you want to talk about those concerns?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

TheFootman...
Neophyte
Member # 108359

Perhaps in the morning. It's midnight where I am and I'm so tired. But thank you for getting back to me.

--------------------
I'm me ok.

Heather
Member # 3

Of course. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.