Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » I've figured out my sexuality...now what?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I've figured out my sexuality...now what?
vickifay27
Neophyte
Member # 109866

Icon 7 posted      Profile for vickifay27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone....I've been lurking on this site for a while and all the articles have been really helpful. This is a pretty cool place [Smile] Anyway, after years of confusion I finally realized I was bi a few months ago. I "came out" to my sister and my friends (not my parents though because I feel my home environment would be dangerous), but now I'm a bit at a loss. This may seem dumb, but- what happens now? I spent so much time questioning myself it's like I'm not sure what happens now that I know I'm bi. Everyone I know in real life is straight too, so it's not like I have any likeminded people to hang out with. I'm sure that will change in college, but I still have a year of high school left to go....

Any help would be appreciated, since I feel like I just confused myself writing this [Smile]

Posts: 3 | From: DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, good question. [Smile]

Really, what happens now is you just keep on living your life in all the ways you live it. And some of that may be informed by this self-awareness about bisexuality, and having a word for yourself in this regard, and plenty of it also probably will not be.

But ultimately, not a whole lot does happen when we come to terms with one part of ourselves like this, as it is just one part of who you are and does not determine or dictate what your life will be like.

I hear you saying you feel a bit isolated in this, and feeling like you might like some LGBTQ peers. Would you like us to help you look into local resources for you? If you are in DC, for instance, there are some queer youth groups there you could get connected with.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vickifay27
Neophyte
Member # 109866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vickifay27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the help! The thing is, I have a few LGBTQ friends online that are really great to talk to, but we've never really met so it's not quite the same. I'd love to hear any suggestions you've got about where I can get connected with others [Smile]
Posts: 3 | From: DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would start by connecting with or contacting this group: http://www.thedccenter.org/resources_youth.html

Even if they are not within reach for you, they can likely get you connected to a group who is! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vickifay27
Neophyte
Member # 109866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vickifay27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'll definitely look into that. Thank you so much! You seem great [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Happy to help. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.