Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » two differing opinions from others -- does MINE matter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: two differing opinions from others -- does MINE matter?
Prozac
Activist
Member # 79657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prozac         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I have two friends. One is extremely religious and does not believe homosexuality or bisexuality is okay; he thinks it's a sin against God. The other friend of mine is a bisexual female that is very liberal in her thinking.

Well, the bisexual friend told me that since I think women are attractive, I must be bisexual. The religious friend told me that since I don't want to have sex with a women, since I only like to look, then I'm straight. He said something about "mixing up sexual attraction with liking to look at beautiful things."

As for ME --

I don't necessarily WANT to have sex with a girl, but I'm open to it. And I do love to admire the female body. But I don't really identify as bisexual OR heterosexual. I definitely prefer guys though... so maybe I'm straight?

I don't know, I just needed to whine to someone. Sorry.

Posts: 68 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only one person gets to name your identity and orientation, and that's you. Your friends are welcome to have their own opinions, but it's not their place to put words in your mouth and decide your identity for you.

It sounds like you have some attraction to women but aren't sure how deep that attraction goes, and that's really ok. If you want to call yourself straight because you know you're attracted to men and are unsure about your sexual attraction women, that's perfectly reasonable! If you think maybe you're bisexual, or just want to call yourself "questioning" for a while, that's ok too. It really is up to you, and not being 100% certain of your sexual orientation is not uncommon and is totally fine.

If your friends are being a little pushy about their opinions on your sexuality, you're well within your rights to ask them to drop the topic.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prozac
Activist
Member # 79657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prozac         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Molias. I just wish there was less pressure on everyone, including me, to make an identity choice RIGHT AWAY. Like why can't I just be me and if I want to have sex with boys, fine, and if a girl comes around that I want to have sex with then that's fine too? What's the point of labeling it?
Posts: 68 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You CAN do just that.

It sounds like your friends are putting pressure on you, but that doesn't mean everyone does or will. And ultimately, when you tell people doing it to back off? They're probably stop.

Some people don't see a point in having words or terms for their orientation or other parts of their sexual identity: others do. There's no right or wrong here, just what you feel works best for you.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you, Prozac!!! Labels can be super-helpful for some people but if you don't find them to be useful to you, or aren't sure which ones might fit you yet, you don't need to use them. I hope your friends get off your back soon.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
That Strange CT child
Activist
Member # 104246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for That Strange CT child     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither you or your friends can control your sexuality
Whichever gender(s) you are attracted to is something determined in the same way as favorite colors or foods, its out of anyones hands and you can only accept yourself for who you are, and if they have a problem with who you are, they arent really friends
Friends dont care about those things
Really, how different are you from them just for being attracted to women? You still have a life and go through ot like everyone else to an extent [Wink]

--------------------
It is my hope that what i ask here is answered for me and anyone else afraid to ask the same question :)

Posts: 133 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.