Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Scared to tell my friends

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scared to tell my friends
Harris
Neophyte
Member # 94957

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm really not sure of my sexuality at all, just that I am attracted to women in some shape or form. I would like to try being in a relationship, or even just having experiences with a girl, but the problem is nobody knows that I'm not straight.

I just started my freshman year of college so I have a new friend circle and I don't know how any of them feel about gay people or LGBT issues at all. I'm scared they won't be accepting if I tell them and I don't know how figure out if they are or not.

I don't even know if I want to tell people but if nobody knows how will I ever find someone to be with? I don't know what to do, and watching my friends all get boyfriends when all I want is to be with them is getting harder and harder.
Please help me.

Posts: 10 | From: Southwest WI | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you looked into LGBT organizations on campus? That's one place you're bound to meet some like-minded people who will be accepting and supportive of you. That way, you can widen your social circle a little to include people who you can be out with. And once you feel more secure and supported in who you are, it'll likely also be a bit easier to come out to your other friends, if that is something you want to do.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8994 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiveanddime
Activist
Member # 95068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fiveanddime         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jumping in here but some schools have LGBT advisors, too, or deans who specialize in LGBT issues who can be a source of support. They might be able to point you to the right resources. Good luck!
Posts: 61 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris
Neophyte
Member # 94957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I signed up to join my school's GSA, but it hasn't started yet. Hopefully it'll happen soon. Thank you guys for replying!
Posts: 10 | From: Southwest WI | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you decide you do want to tell your friends, sometimes it can be good to pick one person who you're most comfortable with and confident that they are likely to be accepting. Then they can help you and provide support around telling others.

Hope that the GSA goes well for you and you get to meet some interesting people [Smile]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris
Neophyte
Member # 94957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think I might tell one of my friends that lives pretty far from me that I talk to every so often over the phone. In case it goes badly, I won't have to see her everyday.
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What makes you feel like it would go badly?

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris
Neophyte
Member # 94957

I'm just scared. I'm so scared that the people I love and that love me won't love me after I tell them. I don't know how they're going to react, and that's the worst thing I think, just the possibility that they won't accept me.
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that you never, ever have to tell people, and you definately never have to before you feel 100% ready.

That said, have you seen this article yet: Don't Let the Door Hit you on the Way Out?

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

To my Abuser: I'm seeing stars. I bet you can't do that.

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris
Neophyte
Member # 94957

I liked that article, thanks for giving me the link. I've got a lot to think about.
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harris,
Just an extra thing to consider: studies show the first group of friends the average college freshman makes is not still their main source of social life by sophomore year. This may not be the case with you, but that statistic CAN remind us that as scary as starting the whole new life/world college is, it IS also a chance to start over and build up and out who you want to be, pretty much from scratch-- and this all in a whole big bunch of new people! Even if you were not questioning your sexuality, you do not sound like the kind of person who would like to be friends with homophobic or otherwise-judgmental people. So the good news is that if these new friends don't appear to be accepting, you have a full pool of other potential awesome AND accepting friends to choose from! I know that can sound super intimidating, but everyone is in that whole in-flux-friends situation now too, so you won't at all seem like the odd one out.

And I used to suss out points of view with new people by saying something like, "Oh man, my friend from highschool just came out to me and is really scared/confused, and I didn't know what to tell her. What would you say?"

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.