Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Breast Binding/Flattening

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breast Binding/Flattening
Sore Throat
Neophyte
Member # 35705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sore Throat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on breast binding and/or flattening.

Is there something I can buy? Something I can make myself?? Anything is helpful.

At 12 I started off with duct tape - realized that was a dumb and painful idea even though I continued to do it for a long period of time. Eventually, I moved away to only wearing extremely tight sports bras, and it still doesn't get rid of the humps.

I saw that some people use like, bandages to wrap around - and though that may be good, I don't really like that because I'm an extremely active person and I'd be really worried about it beginning to unravel or loosen.

I tried going to stores or googling on the internet, but all I can find is body, waist, and tummy shapers. NOTHING for the top, it's really frustrating!
I was just wondering if there's like some really tight spandex-like material that could just wrap around the top, that way, it wouldn't slide off and it really flattens the boobs down.

Open to all suggestions! Thanks.

[ 11-08-2007, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Sore Throat ]

--------------------
If you think you can you can, if you think you can't -- you're right.

Posts: 10 | From: Istanbul, not Constantinople | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sports bras seriously don't work?

I say that incredulously because I have D-cup breasts, and it's always worked fine for me when I bid, with no bumps. Mind, I have some pretty serious pectoral and back muscle development, so it all tends to blend together more, and if you don't, that might be the issue.

But really, you may simply need to wear looser clothes over them: I really can't think of anything else besides the options here to suggest.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68236 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sore Throat
Neophyte
Member # 35705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sore Throat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I have D-cups breasts too and I am very athletic.
I just want it to be completely flat as possible. Like flat, so you can't see anything. So it's easier for me to be a guy.
I always wear really baggy clothes, but still you can see them.
There isn't anything that anyone knows about transmen doing that are really good/affective breast flatteners?

How can I fit into the role of a guy if I can't get rid of these disgusting things? (And I don't mean breasts are disgusting or anything, I mean, I'm attracted to them.. just not ON me.)

--------------------

Posts: 10 | From: Istanbul, not Constantinople | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know how useful this would be for you, but I found an interesting link here via google:

http://www.ftmguide.org/binding.html

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(And let's just do us a favor here, okay? Please don't call anyone's given body part disgusting. We work really hard to help everyone feel a lot better about their bodies, and that just isn't cool here. And really, it might even help YOU to maybe try and rewire your brain a bit so that you can accept that even if something doesn't feel like it belongs on YOUR body, it still isn't disgusting. Thanks.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68236 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sore Throat
Neophyte
Member # 35705

Sorry Heather!
I'm so upset, worried and stressed that I'm actually being rude. I didn't mean it like that at all... I just.. now I feel awful. I'm so sorry.

-- And thank you Leabug. I'll check that out, I kind of found another source as well though.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Don't be upset or worried: seriously.

Just bear in mind that it's really important here that we all do our best to nurture a space where we're all doing our best to make everyone feel as good about themselves and their bodies and sexuality as possible. [Smile]

And again, too? It really might help you, personally, not to think about breasts that way, even on your own body. If you are transgender, and if you do earnestly see hormones and surgery in your future, then it might be helpful to simply think of your body now as a cocoon. Not something ugly or awful, but as one stage which is temporary, and en route to another.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are AWESOME binders on the web for both tomboys and FTM men. As soon as I find the link again, I'll post it. A lot of my t-male friends have used a particular one.

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dwarf_tosser
Neophyte
Member # 36604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dwarf_tosser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.underworks.com
The double-front compression shirt works great. I'm ftm transgender and tried one before I had surgery.
Also, you may do a google search for big brother's binders website. They have suggestions on how to pick out what size you need.

Posts: 1 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirsten1031
Neophyte
Member # 36656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kirsten1031     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I suggest the Frog Bra? I hear it does absolute wonders for binding down breasts on the larger side. :]

Frog Bra: http://www.titlenine.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=2166

[ 01-21-2008, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Kirsten1031 ]

--------------------
I believe that love is love. There is nothing more to it, and no one --no one-- has the right to judge another human being based on whom they fall in love with.

Posts: 4 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odd_boi_out
Neophyte
Member # 36261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for odd_boi_out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going off of what dwarf_tosser said, the tri-top binder from underworks works really well, too. Sometimes it has a tendency to roll up where it hits your stomach, but it's really secure and flattens quite well. The frog bra is also great; it doesn't flatten quite as well as a binder but it's more comfortable and is good for when you're going to be active. DONT use ace bandages; they can be pretty dangerous.
Posts: 2 | From: Washington | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiam
Neophyte
Member # 41179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
theres always Tkingdom.com if you have money. you can select which vest thing is best for you and order it. i agree with the ace bandages being dangerious to your health
Posts: 1 | From: america | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

If anyone is going to suggest a health hazard from a certain way of binding -- especially when one thing you're suggesting as hazardous has no real differences from those you are positing are NOT -- please do us a favor and cite where you are getting that information, okay? As with all other topics here at Scarleteen, information being accurate is a big deal here.

I have never seen anything to suggest binding with ace bandages presents a health hazard (and it's something also often suggested for nursing mothers, so we can feel pretty certain we'd see health warnings about breasts on them were they dangerous), and I see no reason why doing so would be any more hazardous than wearing sports brassieres. So, until we have some god citations to the contrary, I want to make sure no one gets worried about their health for no good reason, or feels the need to dump out a lot of cash when $5 of bandage will do.

Here's one cite from the University of Michigan saying no such thing about bandages: http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:ucQib0LRlmYJ:www.med.umich.edu/transgender/Binding%2520FAQ.pdf+ace+bandage+breasts+bind+health&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us&client=firefox-a

[ 11-19-2008, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Audrizzle the third
Neophyte
Member # 97701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Audrizzle the third     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this forum posting on a Google search. It's the whole reason I got a membership for this site. I need a recommendation.
Let me preface this by saying; I'm ok with my boobs. I'm female, they belong on me. Yeah, they get in the way and stuff, but I am not transitioning, and I do identify as female.
My issue with them is the attention they draw to me, unfortunately, mostly in the workplace. I am a 36J (and unfortunately I think they may be getting bigger, or my band size is getting smaller). I am really tired of the men I work with behaving unprofessionally around me, and I am to the point of not caring about the impact an abrupt change in my physique would have on the people around me if it would just make it possible for me to avoid the drama and sexual harassment. I'm sorry, I just really have to vent; the last couple of years professionally have been rife with conflict, and I've been bullied and harassed because of my bust size ever since my breasts started coming in when I was 10.
The added challenge I face is that my current job requires me to be relatively physically active. I guide hikes, Hike around a lot on my own, and perform on stage. My uniform is very conservative, so it doesn't matter how much of me is covered, but I need to be able to breathe and move. If anyone could help me come up with a solution of some sort, or a combination of things to make me flat or significantly smaller I would be so grateful.

--------------------
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?

Posts: 5 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Audrizzle the third and welcome to Scarleteen!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been teased and harassed about your body for such a long time.

I noticed from your profile that you are in the U.S. Her ein the United States, sexual harassment in the workplace is illegal.

So, we can talk about ways to try to make your breasts less visible, but we can also talk about approaches you can take to stop being harassed at work.

What have your experienceds been in preventing workplace harassment?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, as this is a slightly different topic from what this particular thread covers, let's make a new thread for it. You can create a new thread by hitting the "post new topic" link on any forum page.

Thank you.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.