Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » I don't exactly know what to do…

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don't exactly know what to do…
L.B
Neophyte
Member # 96481

Icon 5 posted      Profile for L.B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my story is that I think I might be a lesbian? Ever since I was a little kid, I simply didn't like guys, as I got older that obviously no longer stands to be true. The thing is, I would convince myself that I'm into a guy, and then it'll turn out that I only ever wanted to be their friend. With girls, it was the opposite. So, yeah I get it, what's not to get, right? I OBVIOUSLY like girls eh? But that's just the thing, I CAN'T like girls, my mum is totally strict when it comes to her religious beliefs. She told me when I was really young that if I were ever gay she'd disown me, I'm only 16, I can't make it my own, and maybe I'm just going through a faze? I can't loose another person, and I don't know, maybe this was stupid?
Posts: 2 | From: Canada (Tornto) | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, nothing you have said here is stupid. Your feelings are your own, and important to you; so please do not beat yourself up over how you feel. If I can be honest, I myself am a Christian and my parents are very religious and conservative. They're accepting of homosexuals, yet I think they still struggle with it (they were born in different eras, so I try to remember that when I talk to them). However, I know that if I was a lesbian, though they might not understand my behaviour, they would still accept me. Perhaps you could talk to your parents about a friend you have who recently came out to his or her parents; and ask them what they think. You obviously don't have to do this if you don't want to; but it might give you a glimpse of how they might react to you coming out (if you do decide that that is something you want to do).

That being said, coming out is something that is specifically and wholly your own choice to make. If you don't want to tell your parents about how you feel now, then you certainly don't have to. Also, if you want to keep processing your feelings and getting to figure out who you are (which is something that I believe everyone goes through about any situation going on in their lives, not just about their sexual orientation), that's also perfectly okay. Only do what you feel comfortable with doing. I'm so sorry that you feel upset... If you want to talk more, we would be happy to listen and help in any way possible!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, L.B. Welcome to the boards. [Smile]

First of all, I agree with Copper in that nothing you have said here is stupid. No one can dictate to you what feelings you can/cannot experience because that is not within anyone's control, strict religious beliefs or not. You are attracted to who you are attracted to, and nothing can change that.

Whether or not you will tell your mother about your orientation is a choice for you to make. It sounds like telling her right now will likely result in some serious backlash that would not be helpful or supportive to you at all, so it would be probably advisable to refrain from doing that.

Remember, though: you get to feel what you feel. Your feelings are perfectly valid, regardless of the beliefs that your mother holds. You also get to do what you want to regarding/in response to those feelings, whether it be telling a friend or someone else you trust.

How can we best support you right now?

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-hugs for L.B.- [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.