Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Can you work out you orientation without having dated first

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you work out you orientation without having dated first
WhiteFox
Neophyte
Member # 91943

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteFox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay then I'm pretty sure that I'm gay but I've had a relationship with anyone of any gender. I haven't even had my first kiss yet. Can I still work this out despite that?
Posts: 12 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, WhiteFox! You don't necessarily have to have dated before you work out your sexual identity. How you choose to identify is completely up to you. In fact, you are the only one who knows how best to describe your orientation. Who you are attracted to does not change depending on whether or not you decide to date them. Does that make sense?

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One way to think of it might be: If you thought you were straight, would you feel like you had to date someone to confirm that? In my experience, people tend to say this to reinforce heterosexuality as a norm, because you see lots of straight people saying it who clearly didn't apply that reasoning when determining their own orientation.

Also, as Sans said, you can be attracted to/aroused by people without dating them. Also, particularly if you're still in your teens (though it can apply at any age, there is no age when everyone is ready for sex), you may find that even if you are very attracted to someone, a sexual relationship may not be a positive experience as you may not feel ready for one.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.