Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Masculine Body Conversation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Masculine Body Conversation
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I filled out a survey about masculine bodies recently for a friend of a friend who's doing some research and it asked a lot of questions, but one section that stuck in my mind was asking about how I talk to men about how I feel about my body...

How often do I speak about my own body in a postive way to other men?
How often do I speak about my own body in a negative way to other men?
How often do I speak about other men's body in a postive way to other men?
How often do I speak about other men's body in a negative way to other men?

It's so strange to think about it because I hardly remember having any conversations like that.

I feel like female bodies are under a lot of scrutiny and there is pressure to be constantly surveying but also talking... magazines seem to be packed full of conversation about what messages to listen to, to feel bad about your body, complain about it, to feel good about your body and celebrate and flaunt it etc.

The images on men's "health" magazines seem to imply much of the same stuff, people with ripped abs and bulging biceps but the people who have the masculine bodies and identities that the mags are targeted at, don't seem to have the same tradition of talking about it.

Does anyone else feel like there's a bit of a silence there?
If we're unhappy with our bodies, is there way to say that?
If we're happy with our bodies or have something positive to say is there a way to say that?

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smthng56
Activist
Member # 46344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smthng56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are unhappy with something you can just say it? Maybe I'm not fully understanding your post. I think men talking about their or someone else's body is tricky: theres fashion for these ripped bodies but same time men should not talk or complain about their looks cause thats not.. man-ish. I guess these are just signs of stereotypes. I remember I heard somewhere a saying: if your BF asks does he look fat in these jeans, he is probably gay. Or something like that. Thats quite annoying and just make things harder. [Smile]
Posts: 73 | From: Russia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.