Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Questioning...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questioning...
Lorelei, the Wolf Girl
Neophyte
Member # 93756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lorelei, the Wolf Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been on my mind for about a year and a half now...but I'll tell you first why.

I had a dream once where this woman and I were naked, and we were engaged very passionately in mutual masturbation. We were about the same age, she was black and I was (and am) white, not that I think race had any influence in this but anyways...when I came in the dream, my body also orgasmed outside the dream, and so strongly that it woke me up because I was convulsing.

Also, I find that I am attracted to the female and the male anatomy, but so far I've only been very strongly sexually attracted to males, and only then two in my lifetime (I'm 16). I also do sometimes find myself daydreaming about kissing girls that I know.

So far, I'm deciding to go with the sexual orientation of “questioning”, since I haven't really had any experiences that
would be defining of my sexual orientation, but the thing is, I
want to some day have a relationship with another woman.

Can anyone help me sort this out? I'm totally fine with homosexuality, by the way, just so everyone knows before-hand, and one of my best friends is gay. I just want some personal feedback from some other people who may have gone through (or might still be going through) the same thing.

Merci beaucoup!

[ 01-27-2012, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Lorelei, the Wolf Girl ]

--------------------
Lorelei

Posts: 13 | From: California | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it can be helpful to remember that experience isn't what defines sexual orientation. Sexual orientation is what you feel and believe within yourself, and even that changes over time.

A lot of people think (and I'm by no means suggesting you're doing this) that people are straight until they experience otherwise. We could flip that around though, and ask how people know they're straight if they've never experienced it.

My apologies; that's a bit of a soapbox for me. [Smile]

Have you read any of the articles on our site about orientation? You might find them helpful. We can give you some links, if you like.

It's completely okay to identify as questioning--now, or forever if that'swhat feels good to you.

It might also be helpful to think about how sexual orientation canencompass a lot of things--experience, attraction, fantasy, etc. Who you feel what for may change at any given time.

I can definitely tell you that you're not alone in feeling this way, or in wondering about it. I'd venture to say that plenty of people have fantasies, dreams, or desires about a gender that they don't consider the one they're primarily attracted to. And yes, I think this applies to people who describe themselves, or just assume that, they're straight.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lorelei, the Wolf Girl
Neophyte
Member # 93756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lorelei, the Wolf Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I've read many of the articles about sexual orientation here on Scarleteen. I was also checking out some of the posts that many people have here on the forum, too.

I don't know...but like you said, I guess I'll never really know, and I can just go about as “questioning” forever too. it's strange, though, not really being able to be completely open about it with parents and family and stuff just because they have set views about the way people should go about being (or not being) sexual. it only makes things more confusing. And since I've kind of identified as “hetero” my whole life up until recently, there are still hesitancies that have been imposed upon me by society and family alike.

--------------------
Lorelei

Posts: 13 | From: California | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definately know where you're coming from there, Lorelei. When I was about fourteen, I identified as bisexual. However, so many people said I was just 'confused' and wasn't a 'proper' lesbian because I still liked boys that I convinced myself it was just silliness and naiveity. Here I am, almost 24, now identifying as pansexual. [Smile]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.