Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » What do YOU do to counter transphobia and homophobia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do YOU do to counter transphobia and homophobia?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today is the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia -- against bias, bigotry and discrimination towards gay, lesbian and bisexual people and trans people.

So, what do you do to counter either or both? What do you think you or others COULD do, if you're not doing anything already?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, y'all. Maybe with a little help getting started?

So, I:
• work in sex education, and work to make it and all sex ed more inclusive of both gender and orientation.
• Call out gender or orientations stereotyping when I hear it, and correct with accurate information.
• Stay very publicly out, especially when I'm dating male-identified people instead of women, so people may make more assumptions or apply heterosexual privilege.
• Do my best to always talk about gender and orientation in ways that make clear both are very fluid and consist of a very wide spectrum.
• Support organizations which support GLBT rights and get the word out about them.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I call out homophobia when I hear it and stereotyping, most of the time (I am not 100% out, so sometimes I feel uncomfortable about it). I am fairly out and I do talk a lot about homophobia, as well as other issues pertaining to discrimination against any minorities. I plan to do more in the future when I am 100% out, but for now that is all.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-I am sure to ask if I am unsure of what pronoun to use, and then I use the right one to refer to the person in every situation that I speak of them. Likewise, I correct those who think the chosen pronoun should only be used when face-to-face with the person. I discourage/correct others who, when mad at trans "friends", use the incorrect pronoun. (some friends...pssh. *eye roll*)

-Like you, Heather, I do my best to make sure I talk about gender and orientation in a fluid manner.

- I question popular depiction of homosexuals and trans in the media (movies, books, tv) to try and raise awareness.

- I do my best to help newly out friends to resources, such as this site, the GLSEN (good help hotline), counseling groups in the area, and fun stuff like Pride and/or good queer friendly areas in the city

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Yay! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
I make friends and hang out with people who are out and proud queers. I defend their right to be who they are when others put them down. I support people who come out to me, professionally and personally. I belong to organizations which address GLBT health disparities at a local level.

I really like IDAHO because of the world-wide focus and because it's multilingual and includes different religions. Here are a couple of links which show what people around the world did this year and what you can do to get involved-
http://www.dayagainsthomophobia.org/spip.php?page=sommaire&id_rubrique=41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ca_FUJIHI
(Warning- this video shows a lot of cute kissing/PDA [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone [Smile] IDAHO 2011 is almost here...does anyone have anything planned??

Need ideas? Check it out:
http://www.dayagainsthomophobia.org/-As-I-Am-International-IDAHO,133-

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a long time, I thought I couldn't stand up against transphobia and homophobia without getting myself labeled as homosexual and being discriminated against.

Then, a couple months ago, It came up in conversation with my brother, and I told him my views. The conversation ended, and I didn't think it really made any impact.

Then, about a month or two later, he said after our talk, he stopped using the word "gay" to refer to things he didn't like. And it made me feel really good, because even if it was just one person, I feel like I made a difference. And hopefully I'll be able to do so again.

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Rock on, you! [Big Grin]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is awesome, I didn't see it yesterday. So for me, I:
  • Volunteer here to provide support and education to people who identify in many different ways sexually and in terms of gender
  • Am setting up a straight-inclusive LGBT society at my relatively conservative university
  • Campaign on my university's equality and diversity committee for better representation and services for people of diverse sexualities and gender identities
  • Regularly call out and correct people (nicely) who use offensive/noninclusive terms or comments to describe certain sexualities or gender identities
  • Use Facebook to take part in and sometimes host visible discussions of articles or difficult questions with my friends (sounds silly, but it's part of making our social network a safe space for discussing these things, right?)
The stuff everyone's doing is awesome! High fives, all!

[ 05-18-2011, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: patrickvienna ]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artsy-craftsy
Neophyte
Member # 61094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artsy-craftsy         Edit/Delete Post 
I go to a performing/visual arts school, so there's not much bullying or homophobia at all. There's a large GLBT crowd there that I love to hang out with (I am questioning, but staying with bisexuality right now).
Usually I try to stay away from homophobics because they make me so angry. If they approach me with hate or whatever, I tell them what I think about GLBT and gay rights, etc. We had a debate about if gay marriage should be legalized one time, and out of probably 20+ people in the room (some of which weren't even in our class), only 3 went to the other side and their arguements were poorly stated. I make a point of saying that gay relationships are just the same as straight relationships, only with same sex couples instead of opposite sex.

Posts: 11 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.