Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Should I?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I?
samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samanthamt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been about 5 days since I told my therapist that I'm gay (I guess thats an ok term to use, I'm really not sure if I'm a lesbian or if I'm bisexual) and since talking with her I'm feeling better about my sexuality. I don't feel as much shame as I was feeling, partly because I'm letting myself be ok with it and probably a big part of it is because she reacted so well and is so accepting of me. I really want to ask this woman out, but is it too soon? Am I just rushing into this because I'm excited about this new chapter in my life? And if I am ready to ask her out, how do I go about doing it? I was thinking I would just casually ask if she was dating anyone, and if she said no then I was planning on asking if she wanted to get coffee or hang out somewhere, something low key. I'm just in completely unknown territory. Is there anything that I shouldn't do...?

--------------------
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.
-Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 104 | From: U.S | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think whatever term you feel is best for you is okay to use. [Smile]

I'm glad you were able to come out to your therapist!

In terms of it you're ready for dating or not...well, do you feel ready for dating, on the whole? Do you have the time and energy for it? Do you feel confident enough, secure enough in yourself? Ready to manage others?

As well, are you ready to potentially be much more out?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67063 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samanthamt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I think I do feel ready to date. As far as having the time and energy for it, that's questionable. I don't feel like I have the time and energy to date just anyone, but she's different. I'm feeling more and more confident in myself every day. Coming out to my therapist has really helped my confidence, because she didn't judge me, she really didn't even blink an eye when I told her. As far as managing others what do you mean? Like ready to take someone else's feelings into consideration and support them? I am ready to be out more. I don't think I'm ready to be out to my immediate family, but as far as people that I just know from school or acquaintances, I wouldn't mind them knowing.

--------------------
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.
-Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 104 | From: U.S | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so it's sounding like you feel pretty prepped to try dating on in this case!

Remember: dating doesn't mean you have to dive into something big and serious right from the start. It's a process of getting to know each other and evaluating what you want, then taking gradual steps towards whatever that is. In other words, deciding to ask this woman out isn't about deciding to move in with her. [Smile]

By the way? I don't think there's anything wrong about wanting to take a step like this you feel you want to make because you're excited and feelings good. I think feeling good and excited about this and stepping forward from that place is awesome!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67063 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Yay! I thought I was ready but I wanted to get someone else's opinion before I did anything since I have like zero experience in this department [Smile] thank you for your help. The work you guys do here is amazing!

--------------------
-Abraham Lincoln

Heather
Member # 3

You're so welcome!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Just thought I'd share the good news, she said yes! I'm really excited obviously but also a bit unsure of...how to act I guess. Is dating a girl pretty much like dating a guy, except for the fact that its a girl?

--------------------
-Abraham Lincoln

Heather
Member # 3

Yep, pretty much, especially in the sense that everyone is all very different, no matter our gender. [Smile]

(Exciting!)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

True, everyone is different [Smile] lol I'm probably overthinking it a bit, and I am so excited! Sucks that I have no one to tell except my therapist lol. Oh well, in due time.

--------------------
-Abraham Lincoln

Heather
Member # 3

We really need some kind of emoticon wearing a partyhat and blowing a noisemaker to use here sometimes. [Big Grin]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Haha yes, that would be perfect [Smile]

--------------------
-Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.