Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Is this normal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this normal
adoug59
Neophyte
Member # 48365

Icon 9 posted      Profile for adoug59     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so this is how it goes...

I like girls, I get crushes on girls etc. but sometimes I see cool guys at school, you know the ones who are good looking, athletic and have all the girls hanging off them. Anyway I see these guys and I don't like them but I want to be like them, cool like them. Is this normal? does this mean I could be bi? [Confused]

Posts: 2 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galaxies
Neophyte
Member # 48367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Galaxies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there!

I'm new here too, but I saw this post and thought I'd put my two cents in. From my experience, what you are experiencing is perfectly normal, hetero-normal even. It's pretty common to feel that sort of envy when they've got something that you wish you could have - in this case athleticism, good looks, or girls. Guys who are perfectly straight could feel that way.

But at the same time, if you feel that you have some sort of physical attraction to them, and not just their fortunate situation, then there is every possibility that you could be bi. But the important thing is to listen to what you feel. You only have to identify by what you feel comfortable with.

On a more personal note, speaking as a male who identifies as bisexual, I know that feeling. Sometimes, when I find my gaze caught by a guy, I realize that it's not an attraction to be *with* him, but more of an ache to *be* him. It's a little bit hard to explain.

But I hope that helps!

--------------------
One time
I fell from the galaxies
Onto a soft patch of
Grass.

Posts: 3 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great advice, Galaxies! [Smile]

I think we can put aside "normal" because that's such a subjective thing, and when it comes to human sexuality, there's such diversity that "normal" isn't really real. So, notions of normality aside, how do you feel about these guys? Do you feel physically/mentally/emotionally attracted to them? Or do you have admiration for them? These are tough emotions to figure out, and you could feel both admiration and attraction. And all of that is fine. Like Galaxies said, you can ID however you feel most comfortable.

[ 08-16-2010, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: orca ]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adoug59
Neophyte
Member # 48365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for adoug59     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Sometimes, when I find my gaze caught by a guy, I realize that it's not an attraction to be *with* him, but more of an ache to *be* him"

thanks Galaxies thats exactly how it feels. It also feels better to know I'm not the only one. [Smile]

Posts: 2 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.