Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » weird crushes on teachers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: weird crushes on teachers
edeane
Neophyte
Member # 51770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for edeane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok please don't judge me, I find it very awkward talking about this.

I have been going out with my boyfriend for almost 6months, and we're really great, but I am getting some weird crushes on many of my teachers, male or female.

One teacher was my old head of year, and she helped me out when I was going through a rough time, and I was infatuated with her, I don't know if I just idolised her or what, but I also feel the same way about 2 other female teachers. I just want to be with them all the time, its not really sexual, more emotional.

I also have a crush on one of my male science teachers, who is the nicest person I have ever met. He has also been there for me when I have been down, and we email a lot, (mainly about science) and he always compliments me and calls me a legend. He shares his music with me and we talk all the time. I really can't control my feelings for him. For homework I wrote a haiku about a monomer and now a lot of the time he writes emails in haiku's, and on his twitter he posted a tweet related to me as a haiku...gotta mean something? He also mentions things that have reminded him of me - which shows he thinks about me too

I know nothing could happen, but I really don't know what to do about any of these teachers. I seriously think I may love them all.

Posts: 3 | From: Reading, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you just might! But that's okay. I think it's safe to say a lot of us have loved some of our teachers. I know I owe a lot to some of mine, and I have some teachers I had earlier in my life I personally remember much more clearly than say, early sexual partners.

It's okay to love your teachers, even to have crushes. And most of the time, those feelings are usually not about wanting romantic or sexual relationships with a teacher so much as they are about having a lot of respect for a teacher (especially when they treat you with respect), liking the way they make you feel, maybe even a good dose of hero-worship. A good mentor can really make us feel pretty darn great, and being a good mentor is something really lovely someone can do for us. As well, a good teacher is often someone who we know will be someone we can trust to draw good lines with boundaries, which can make us feel freer sometimes to feel things around them than we might with other people.

Why do you feel like the feelings you're having are weird?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edeane
Neophyte
Member # 51770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for edeane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, I know I respect them all a lot, and really like the way the make me feel. I just didn't think these feelings were normal and really appropriate, as I have been getting more distracted a lot in lessons because of these feelings. I know these feelings may be common, but I just find them quite awkward, especially as I'm sure none of my friends have them
Posts: 3 | From: Reading, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doubtful: we get questions like yours pretty often, and if you talk to older people who aren't in the thick of these crushes at the moment (who often are feeling like you are and aren't all that honest because of it), you'll find it's really not that unusual.

I promise. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleylynn
Neophyte
Member # 47356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleylynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of all the friends I have spoken with over past crushes (or current ones!) on teachers, nearly everyone has a story in which they find themselves in this somewhat awkward situation. Whether you're admiring your teacher's mind, body, wit, etc; none of it is unnatural. As humans it is normal to go through stages of infatuation and intense desire for those around us. As long as you don't act on your desires, you should be alright.
Posts: 25 | From: Kansas, USA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.