Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » I'm Coming Out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm Coming Out
Inhibition
Neophyte
Member # 41047

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Inhibition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to say it to someone:

I think
I'm straight
and the other 98% of the population is gay.

-Does anyone else feel like this?
-Has anyone who feels like this not come out?

I mean, honest to God, I'm just not sure why anyone would prefer men to women. How can one not appreciate Meryl Streep?

<3

Posts: 4 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie101
Activist
Member # 37085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come out as straight? haha I guess I have ! [Wink]
My dad strongly dislikes Meryl Streep actually, I think shes wicked!

--------------------
stephh!

Posts: 88 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to ask the original poster to explain what she had in mind here. As that her profile gives her orientation as dyke I'm going to guess that this is not actually a thread about being straight. However, if that's what this is I'm going to close it: this is a space designated for GLBT folks and is not the place to "come out" as straight.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inhibition
Neophyte
Member # 41047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inhibition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah--I should clarify. I was thinking the other day about how I really don't feel any different than I did before I realized I was gay (when I though I was probably straight) so I decided that what REALLY happened was that liking girls is only natural (and therefore straight) and that girls who like boys are the ones who are actually gay.

You can delete it if you want, of course. I just wondered if other people felt the same way about being gay that I do. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Posts: 4 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the confusion comes from the terms you're using. Gay and straight aren't really judgmental words, but they do have established meanings: gay meaning homosexual and straight meaning heterosexual.

Homosexual folks are given the message that we are somehow unnatural though and I think it could be very worthwhile to talk about how being queer actually feels as opposed to how we're told it should feel. However, let's be careful about the words we use so everyone can understand and participate in the discussion.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.