Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Hoping any Scarleteen-using queer youth from Tel Aviv are ok...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hoping any Scarleteen-using queer youth from Tel Aviv are ok...
NonStraightAnswers
Activist
Member # 41629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonStraightAnswers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a shooting at Tel Aviv's GLBT center during the teen/youth meeting tonight. Two people were murdered, ten more injured with six of those in serious condition (see here). I don't really have anything to say about it, just...needed to say/do something.
Posts: 63 | From: DC, MA, IL, IS - changes every couple years | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, how awful. Beyond the injuries and the deaths, which are awful enough, taking away a needed safe space, making it feel so unsafe, is just a horror.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68234 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's so sad, I hope that everybody who's still alive pulls through. I just went to LGBT Pride yesterday, actually, it's horrible to think that such a thing could happen while more or less everyone in brighton was dancing and possibly making out in the rain getting drunk off their ***, eating donuts and candy floss, going on funfair rides and celebrating not having to adhere to gender roles and being able to fall in love with somebody of the same sex without fear. Heather, you are absolutely right that the destruction of that safe space is like the fecal icing on the explosive cake.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NonStraightAnswers
Activist
Member # 41629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonStraightAnswers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that the families of all those who pull through get over their homophobia - apparently the parents of some of the wounded won't visit them in the hospital.

Celebrations are important. The Pride event in Brighton, or for that matter the one in Tel Aviv last month, is a reminder of how we should be able to live every day. What's horrible is that anyone would have a problem with that and express it through violence, not that a celebration in one part of the world happened to overlap with an attempt to destroy a safe space in another part.

Posts: 63 | From: DC, MA, IL, IS - changes every couple years | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I didn't mean that if everything was equally bad then it would be ok, I meant what you said, that somebody would have a problem with things like Pride and LGBT rights and go and shoot attendees at an LGBT safe space, I meant that I am upset that somebody hates wonderful things like Pride (aside from when somebody yells "stop *derogatory euphemism for masturbating* in there" because you're taking a while in the grotty portaloos, because of course we're all veterans of peeing in cramped loos that don't even have toilet paper when we're on our periods and wearing two pairs of trousers over our underwear because it's cold and one of them has a hole in it, I think I may have used the mens by accident but still that kind of shaming bullying language is the one bad thing that happened that day, I even had somebody make snide comments to the same effect as I was walking past them, I told them to f-off because I had just used that loo and it was not fun and I was in a mood, I didn't look back to see their reaction) and acted in such a way because of their hatred, that somebody despises that enjoyment so. I realise that what I wrote was ambiguous in meaning and I apologise, I didn't word it very well. The Pride event was utterly wonderful, BTW, it was my first, and I was marching in the parade as well, what shouldn't have happened was the shooting, not Pride.

[ 08-02-2009, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NonStraightAnswers
Activist
Member # 41629

I wasn't offended, just saddened by what I (mis)read as some sort of feeling of guilt.

Aw, yay, congratulations on going to your first Pride, and I'm so glad it was wonderful!

[ 08-02-2009, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: NonStraightAnswers ]

moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this is a powerful issue. It is terrible that people can be so ignorant to hate for any reason.
Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.