Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Say Yes to same-sex marriage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Say Yes to same-sex marriage
foreverbroken
Activist
Member # 96418

Icon 10 posted      Profile for foreverbroken         Edit/Delete Post 
Say Yes to same-sex Marriage
I read an article stating many different arguments against same-sex marriage, and how it is wrong. I personally am for same-sex marriage, it does not matter if a man and a woman are together, a man and a man or women and a women. It is all the same, it is love. Who cares if someone loves differently? Does it make them a less of a person? No, in my eyes it does not make anyone less of a person if they love differently.
“The same-sex marriage would destroy the institution of marriage.” I personally do not think that it would destroy the institution. In fact I think that it would enhance the marriage institution and make the world a more open place to live. People who are not heterosexual would be able to live in less fear of being rejected and constant fear of being harassed and have hate crimes happen to them. Having this bill be passed would make the statement “America, the land of the free” true and more of an accurate statement. How can they say America is the land of the free if there are so many rules preventing non-straight couples being together and having the same rights as straights do?
Another argument was “that if same-sex marriage is legalized, polygamy will follow.” By saying this it’s not only being biased but it is totally untrue. No matter what there is going to be polygamy. Polygamy is happening now with straight couples and non-straight couples. How can they say that same-sex marriage would make heterosexual divorce too easy? It does not matter if someone is already married and want a divorce they will get a divorce it has nothing to do with same-sex couples getting married in my eyes.
“That, same-sex couples would require schools to teach tolerance.” The schools should already be teaching tolerance on how not to judge people who are different. It’s all about how someone is raised. If a child is raised in a raciest and sexist home then they will continue to act on the hateful way of acting. Schools need to teach diversity and that everyone is different in their own way and it is ok to be different.
Anyone should be able to adopt who is mentally stable. It does not matter if they are the same sex they, are loving people who are out there who want to adopt. Why let a child stay in an orphanage if there is a loving couple out there ready to adopt a child. How can they say that Social Security won’t be able to afford to pay for same-sex marriages? What’s the difference they are a married couple. It’s no different than having a heterosexual couple get married.
“That legal U.S same-sex marriage would encourage its spread.” It should be spread to other countries. If America passes this it will encourage other countries to pass this law as well, and others would have the same rights as heterosexuals do. Being able to be who they are and marry who and when they want. Foster parents should have to pass some sort of sensitivity training anyways. The foster parents do not know what background these children are coming from.
Some want to argue that by passing this law would make evangelism more difficult. People can still be Christians and not be straight. It’s how they are made. Sometimes people just can’t help but be attracted to the same sex. There really is no way of finding out how someone is attracted to someone and not be attracted to another. When others are attracted to someone you are not.
By saying not many people who are not heterosexual are not Christians is wrong. There are many Christians who are attracted to the same sex. Aren’t Christians supposed to be loving and accepting? Yes it may be a sin to be romantically involved with someone of the same-sex but so is stealing a candy bar and murder. God views sins all the same it does not matter how bad a sin is considered in society’s way of thinking.
Yes, in this article the person is saying why all of these arguments are basically double edges soared, and they are contradicting themselves. I am trying to take a stand and let same-sex marriage me legalized. Why can heterosexual couples get married and are able to adopt children and non-heterosexuals can’t? It’s not right, if there are loving couples out there let them adopt and get married. Everyone deserves to be happy and have a family
If it doesn’t affect you why does it matter if someone wants to marry someone of the same-sex? It does not affect me either but, I do have lots of friends and family members who are attracted to the same-sex or that are transgender. Let someone be happy and live a happy and long lived life. Even if it means they love differently it does not make them less of a person.

What do you think?

--------------------
Im always abandond

Posts: 363 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to be honest, I didn't read all of what you wrote just skimmed. But I would like to give my opinion.

You wrote, "By saying not many people who are not heterosexual are not Christians is wrong. There are many Christians who are attracted to the same sex. Aren’t Christians supposed to be loving and accepting? Yes it may be a sin to be romantically involved with someone of the same-sex but so is stealing a candy bar and murder. God views sins all the same it does not matter how bad a sin is considered in society’s way of thinking."

I would like to give my opinion on this. I'm a Christian and any sin someone does, God will forgive and wont shun us. All sin to him is the same, doesn't matter the extent of horrible, good, anything on those lines he forgives you if you confess or acknowledge it's a sin. God isn't there to say we've done horrible he just FORGIVES us.

My opinion on same sex marriage has always been the same before I came to God, Jesus Christ our savoir. It's their choice to make, it's not my choice nor my life so if their happy then that is really good. Honestly, I wouldn't want to point my fingers and say horrible things to them when it's not my life. So, yes I support whatever other choose in their life is.

I don't label myself as heterosexual, bisexual, trans-gender, homosexual, asexual, and the other labels given for our identity, my identity is simple: Human. I'm happy as just being human.

I feel the same way towards abortion, it's the person's choice.

I feel the laws for same sex marriage and abortion should be based on the individual itself and no one else controlling them telling them they can't do this and that, it's a personal choice and no one should control that.

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreverbroken
Activist
Member # 96418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreverbroken         Edit/Delete Post 
thats what I said. God viewsa each sin as the SAME. and that he will forgive. I dont know where you got the fact I am pointing fingers. I got a lot of this ONLINE and from A LOT of polls from CHRISTIANS. So therefore it is CORRECT. Id appreciate if you wouldnt throw down everything I wrote in here. IF you want to know what its really about READ THE WHOLE THING. and not just SKIMM it.

--------------------
Im always abandond

Posts: 363 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brokenhearted, you did ask for our thoughts. When we put our work out there for criticism, we have to accept positive as well as negative feedback. So, please treat the posters who are replying here to help you out with some respect. Your response to Alergnon was uncalled for.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a Christian myself, I firmly believe that everyone should be treated with fairness and love. After all, if we were just behaving the way we wanted to and not doing society or anyone else any harm, wouldn't we want to be treated nicely and to be accepted, just like everybody else?

You're right in saying that God views all sin as sin. If you steal a cookie and someone else commits white collar crime, those two sins are equally weighted; though society doesn't seem to operate that way. As far as any thought that gay marriage is a sin, I personally do not think that that is the case (is that what the article was insinuating, that gay marriage "is" a sin?). Marriage is a holy and very important commitment, in my opinion. A union between two women and two men is just as sacred. I think sin within marriages would be directed toward things like extra-marital affairs, abuse of any kind, or neglect. But same-sex or heterosexual couples can do any of those things, which is why I think sin within marriage has absolutely nothing to do with one's sexual orientation. (Not that you think otherwise - this is just my view on the matter [Smile] ).

As far as adoption, heterosexual couples as well as homosexual couples have to be good parents and role models for their kids. I don't think their sexual orientation is relevant, as long as they let their child be who they want to be; whether or not it is the same as theirs is not a concern. Besides, heterosexual couples can be bad parents too, so it's not like one's orientation is an independent variable. It's the same with my version of sin within marriage: it's what the person does (to a child or a spouse) that I consider to be wrong, not their orientation.

Alergnon, I'm in absolute agreement with you!! Same-sex marriage and abortion are individual choices. If one does not agree with them, it is certainly their right and perogative to think that way; but others should not be "stopped" from wanting those things. God wants us to love others as we love ourselves; so we should be treating others with respect and compassion. That, to me, is what Christianity is founded upon: love for others.

[ 09-07-2012, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brokenhearted:

I wasn't pointing my fingers towards you, it's my opinion of WHAT I wouldn't do to others.

Also, I don't really need to read the whole argument of same sex marriage when I know a lot about it and I base my opinions on what I think is right and feel, also, I just wanted to explain what I was trying to say that you misinterpreted.

Also, God does forgive us for our sins, no matter how horrible and good they are, it doesn't matter, he forgives us. Therefore, I'm not sure if you know but if someone repeatedly sins and confesses they're in a circle of sin and confessing and that confessed sin doesn't get better, that person will struggle with sin and possibly the love of God and Jesus Christ our savoir.

I'm not judging the same sex marriage, like I said, it's not my life and if they're happy then why should I judge someone? I am aware Christians and other religious groups don't support same sex marriage. Does that cause conflict within myself, no, because I'm not interested in the same sex. I also don't label myself anything besides being "Human" and I'm just as happy.

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just a quickie reminder when talking about religious things in a secular, diverse space like this.

We ask that no one talking about what their god may think or say as "God thinks..." or "God says..." since, of course, no one here is directly talking to that person or being -- unless you're of the belief that who a god is is yourself or someone you know, in which case that's something to make clear -- and of people who believe in a god, these beliefs will vary.

So, rather, we just ask that folks pre-empt statements like that with "I believe God might..." or "The book that's the doctrine of my religion says that God..." if everyone follows me. Thanks!)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, I'm sorry! I should have put more "I believe" statements or have been more thorough with stating that these are my religious opinions and beliefs; but that doesn't mean that they're everyone's. [Smile] I truly believe that religion and spirituality are individual and everyone has different opinions on how the God of their choosing operates. Once again, I apologize!

Speaking from an academic perspective, this is a pretty good article and topic that would for sure have gotten some interesting discussions from my social science classes! [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay: was reminding everyone posting on this stuff, not just you, and it's not like it's not okay to make an error. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hang on, we're equating stealing a cookie with "white collar crime" which would include major financial crimes that devastate people's lives? Why on earth are we doing that? Since when was stealing one cookie (especially if you're starving or a kid) equivalent to stuff like stealing thousands of people's retirement funds or children's college money?

More on topic, I'm pro same-sex marriage. The main point I'd make is that I don't care if legalising same sex marriage offends some or all members of any religious faith, yes, you can be of any religion and be gay, but more importantly, religion has no place in the making of laws, it is never a valid argument against someone's rights or freedoms, that there may be doctrines which state that same sex/gender relationships are a sin does not mean they're right, and if god is opposed to me having consensual, trusting sexual/romantic relationships/interactions with someone on the basis of their sex/gender, then I'm not going to worship them or listen to them, being all powerful does not exempt you from basing your morality on logic, science and other things that don't involve going "well I think this is wrong so that makes it wrong, I'm going to threaten people into complying".

[ 10-29-2012, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally am not comfortable with beliefs I do not personally hold to be used to deny fully functional adults rights that other fully functional adults have. Thus I do not feel comfortable with religion being dragged into the making of laws.

I also do not believe in sin, but even if I did, I would feel very uncomfortable with someone insinuating same-sex marriage to be one and that we should be happy for someone's deity will forgive this sin like any other sin, say killing someone, which I think is in an entirely different category to marrying someone (or so I hope!).

Just throwing it out there because so far the only strong arguments that have held same-sex marriage back in my country have been influenced by religion only 30% of the population actually finds relevant to their lives as studied in a recent opinion poll.

I personally am pro-marriage.
Because making a promise of life-long commitment is above all something I would like to cherish in our hectic modern world.

Posts: 239 | From: Europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.